VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I don't have a pic from when I got this little bug but I figured I'd show off most of the work that I remembered to take photos of!

Its a 2000 GLX with the 1.8T and a 5 speed, It has 164,000 miles and was pretty badly abused. The front end shook like hell, it was running one 1 cylinder, had MASSIVE boost leaks and all around ran and looked like crap.

Old bumper

I think my bug sneezed a bit to hard!

New bumper but something is missing...

Oh yeah! The eyes!

Tune up time! Damn that filter was dirty!

Wondered why I could smell mice...

Power Steering felt stiff to me, Flush time!

Why am I leaking oil? It was just this and a rubber hose...

Much much better!

No pics of changing out the spark plugs but someone put cheapo autolights in the poor thing AND they cracked and carbon traced! No wonder it would misfiring like it had a blown head!
Nice new NGKs and its purring at idle, tho it doesn't feel like its boosting...

Beans beans the magical fruit the more you eat the more you...uh... Find boost leaks?

AH HA! Cracked intercooler (and the entire bottom of the core support is busted off...

Scrub Scrub Scrub, the first owner must have had kids (ew old fries under the back seat...)

New arm rest!

And something that was missing

this little bug was also all over the road too. Hmm wonder why...

No pics but new energy suspension bushings! Huzzah!

3D Printed Gauge pod!

Buuuuut Hot sun and PLA....

Hey! The engine is in the right side for once!

Too bad it wasn't for the bug lol

And as she sits today

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Wow, lots of work and great troubleshooting! So, when you did the boost leak testing; did you use smoke or the pressure and spray soap/water technique? :confused: Thanks, for bringing another new beetle turbo; back from the dead! :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, lots of work and great troubleshooting! So, when you did the boost leak testing; did you use smoke or the pressure and spray soap/water technique? :confused: Thanks, for bringing another new beetle turbo; back from the dead! :)
Just pressure and good ears actually, I work on diesel trucks for a living and thats how I generally find boost leaks. But Thank you! Its been fun tinkering away on this little bug. Makes me miss my old 69 Baja bug!

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
I love to see these resurrections. Thank you!!! :party:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You went Dr. Frankenstein on that beetle, man! Great job on bringing her back to life.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! ITS ALIVE! lol Just had to!

Totally forgot to take pics but I cleaned the MAF and IAT senors. Seafoamed the intake, which made the neighborhood disappear for a bit! Then changed out the oil with nice Mobil 1 0w40 and a Wix filter.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks! I'm still tinkering away on it.

Strted doing the timing belt, Heres the inside of the coolant ball.

Cant help but to think it of what sludge may be inside the block itself.

Also Im betting these loose bolts where part of the strange rattle I kept hearing.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Its possible; that there was mixing of vw g12/13 and "green" coolant; thats what creates a brown slimy sludge. I would recommend flushing the heck out of the cooling system; cleaning out the small hoses, like the feed hose that goes from the bottle down under the intake. It took a number of sessions; over a couple of days, to fully get the brown stuff out of the engine and hoses of the cooling system. I was working on a contaminated mixed cooling system on a Jetta and I took dishwashing liquid and cleaned out the small hoses that are highest level on the cooling system... they were full of brown gooey stuff. I went to harbor freight and bought some cheap "pipe cleaners" and the dishwashing soap, was able to remove all the goo. I removed them; got a 5 gallon bucket and ran the pipe cleaners through them; multiple times, until the goo was gone and flushed them out with clean water.
I also; did this with the coolant bottle and was able to get the bigger brush in there; to get most of it out, flushed it out with clean water. Replacing the parts; may have been a easier way to go about it but the customer was broke, so I was basically just donating my time, at that point.

This is the brush set; that I bought.

9 Pc Tube/Pipe Nylon Brush Set
- Item#90631 Only: $4.99

9 Piece Tube/Pipe Nylon Brush Set

From what I could tell; the goo, seemed to float to the "top" and stay in the small hoses on top. I did the best I could; it seemed to work.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I drained the coolant it was just straight green coolant. So you're more then likely right on that.

Finally got the alternator out too. Low and behold it has bad bearings, not just pulley. Joy!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Honestly not sure which one of those is the part number on that... but If its not to much I may way to rebuild it. I was looking at the units from Quality Build for $107 tho.

Edit: Is the photo upside down for anyone else??? Its right side up in photobucket...

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
The Volkswagen part # is 028903028E; I would go with a genuine Bosch rebuild or new. Bosch is more expensive but imho, the best quality, the extra cost is worth it.

From the Bosch parts finder: the 120 Amp for your car; rebuilt is:

https://www.boschautoparts.com/

Remanufactured Alternators Bosch Remanufactured Alternators have more new parts and are performance tested to ensure longer, more reliable operation with maximum performance.
Engine Designation: APH

Installation Restrictions: 120 A, Bosch, only as replacement for Bosch equipment

Bosch Part Number: AL0189X

The genuine VW rebuilt unit from the dealer is listed as part number: 038903018QX - ALTERNATOR
Beetle; 120 Amp

The best price; for the Bosch rebuild, seems to be from RockAuto.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Aparently, there are parts and kits available to rebuild it:

http://www.aspwholesale.com/index.php?_a=vehiclepartssearch

2000 VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE APH L 4 1.8 ALTERNATOR Bosch Alt, Opt, 120 Amp 120 0-124-515-010 BOSCH 13853

parts list:

BOSCH IR/IF COVER 46-1464 1-120-591-506
BOSCH IR/IF BEARING, BALL 6-103-4W F-00M-990-405
BOSCH IR/IF REPAIR KIT-BO IR/IF BO4-79-1000
BOSCH IR/IF RECTIFIER IBR201 F-00M-133-246

Rebuild kit; seems to be about $35: part # BO4-79-1000

Components
- Voltage regulator/Brush assembly
- Premium, double sealed, hi-temperature WBD bearings

https://www.google.com/search?q=BO4...m=91&ie=UTF-8#q=bosch+rebuild+kit+BO4-79-1000

Bosch repair parts:

http://aa-boschap-de.resource.bosch...ernators_and_replacement_parts_form_Bosch.pdf

Online catalog; lookup:

http://www.bosch-automotive-catalog.com/en#

1 - 20 of 75 Posts