NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
annen0017
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 98 vw beetle and i want to see what options are out there for body kits i dont have alot of money im open to many options any suggestions? i also want to get a rear window spoiler that would go on the top of the hatch anyone know where i can find one. also any performance mods that i should look into installing.
thanks guys

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Hi :)

Performance wise, on the 2.0 you can get it chipped or remapped. That will instantly give you more BHP and better fuel economy. You could also get the turbo fitted. If you have deep pockets :)

It's the only one i know for the 2.0

As for Bodykits, their is really only one that IMHO looks good on a Bug and that's the Votex kit (not vortex) Give me a moment and i'll dig up some images for you on all the kits for the Bug. Although nobody makes them anymore, they do appear on ebay every now and then :) Also have something for Spoilers too :)

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Spoiler from here, if you can work out the language :lol:

ƒtƒŠ�[ƒ_ƒ€ƒfƒUƒCƒ“ ƒŠƒAƒXƒ|ƒCƒ‰�[ / ƒjƒ…�[ƒr�[ƒgƒ‹ƒp�[ƒc�•ƒAƒNƒZƒTƒŠ�[�ê–å‚̃oƒOƒYƒS�[ƒS�[

Front fender spoiler

V5 fender or Votex, not sure, both similar

Modified Narrow Body ABD Cup Fender

The old Subaru Conversion

Modified Votex front, indicators filled

Votex rear

Who knows, or can't remember ?!?

Spoiler

RSi kit

You can get Votex side sills too, again come up on ebay every now and then. All the other kits are rarer. Good luck :) There are a few more styles out there :)

·
5/23/10 <3
10,914 Posts
Chipping isn't going to give you much of a hp upgrade for the money you'll spend. Supercharging is more common on the 2.0L here than a turbo, as far as I've seen at least. But both are options. Just cost $$$. Better to have a 1.8T to start if you are looking for performance and mods on a budget. Lots you can do to those for much less money.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Chipping isn't going to give you much of a hp upgrade for the money you'll spend. Supercharging is more common on the 2.0L here than a turbo, as far as I've seen at least. But both are options. Just cost $$$. Better to have a 1.8T to start if you are looking for performance and mods on a budget. Lots you can do to those for much less money.
When i had my 1.6 all i ever heard was, sell it and get the 1.8T or the 1.9TDi. In the end i did :lol: But the chip i had done to my 1.6 did give some more BHP and was so much better on fuel economy :) Sadly or maybe luckily i avoided somehow the 2.0 slow as my first Bug :eek: Deep pockets and you can do anything you want to the 2.0 :)

·
5/23/10 <3
10,914 Posts
Agreed. But you get far more for your money with the 1.8T, or really any turbo charged engine. NA motors just don't allow for as much performance upgrades for the same money. Just for an example...Unitronic offers a 2.0L chip that ends up costing $35 for 1 hp for a 10hp total upgrade. The 1.8T costs $14/hp and adds 35hp total.

I had a 2.0 and now I have a 1.8T. The 2.0 is a great little motor but its just not designed for performance and upgrades. For a budget build, which this would be, I would focus the money elsewhere personally.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Agreed. But you get far more for your money with the 1.8T, or really any turbo charged engine. NA motors just don't allow for as much performance upgrades for the same money. Just for an example...Unitronic offers a 2.0L chip that ends up costing $35 for 1 hp for a 10hp total upgrade. The 1.8T costs $14/hp and adds 35hp total.

I had a 2.0 and now I have a 1.8T. The 2.0 is a great little motor but its just not designed for performance and upgrades. For a budget build, which this would be, I would focus the money elsewhere personally.
They're going to blow the budget finding, getting a votex front and rear, then sprayed, and fitted. :p

:)

·
annen0017
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well guys theres some helpful information here and thanks to all im still looking for the body mods to give it alittle personalization but as for performance i have come in possession of an 84 rabbit gti and there are many more options to that.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts

·
Registered
11,544 Posts
There still are a number of companies that made and sell body kits for the new beetle; a quick google, shows a number for sale as we speak: new beetle body kit - Google Search

I so like the Votex stuff but it is a matter of taste... to each his own..

·
NBie
10 Posts

·
NBie
10 Posts
Wow, that's cheap for a full bumper, I'm in the market for a Turbo S rear bumper, thought they'd be alot more expensive than that, my front Turbo S bumper cost 700 here in canada
Hey - I suspect that it's actually the VW Votex version as opposed to the true S version bumper - subtle differences - still quite cool. Ive looked into shipping into Canada - it's going to cost over $350 to get it to Ottawa, significant $ savings if you ship it to a US border town and pick it up yourself.
You should know that the diffuser that goes with it is no longer available - most peops on here think it does't look good without the diffuser - I think it looks better IMHO.
Cheers!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts