NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a manual transmission 2001 NB with an AEG engine. As I mentioned it stalls, bogs down and is weak on the accel. Particularly from 1st to 2nd.

I have replaced the forward 02 sensor which was bad, the air intake filter, fuel filter, plugs and wires, coil pack. I have cleaned the MAF. It may be bad, but I don't think so. I'm not getting any significant improvement from having it unplugged.

I have a thread about it over at 2carpros HERE if you want to see everything I have tried in a little more detail.

If anyone here has any experience with this I would love some input. I really don't want to take it to a shop and get gouged.

Thanks everyone!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,094 Posts
Any CEL?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep. CEL is on. I am going to limp it to my auto parts store tomorrow and check the codes again and reset it to at least see if I have cleared up anything.

It had the forward 02 code, and multiple misfire codes beforehand. When I drove her around the block a few times today, I did not notice any misfiring as far as I could tell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose that some of this could also be caused if my fuel pump were going. Is there any way to check that?

At this point I have basically replaced all the inexpensive bits or the ones that I knew were due anyway. I'd like to avoid blindly replacing things that are more than $30-45.

Also, any tutorials out there on opening up the dash so I can manually inspect the wiring to the ECM? I have read a few people with issues similar to mine had some short to ground issues that came from worn wires there.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,094 Posts
I'd get the code(s) again before you go tearing into the car. There can be many reasons for things like this but codes will help point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Long list of Codes....

Okay. I'm going to run through all the ones I mentioned and knew of before quickly.

P0300, 0301, 0302, 0304, 0303, all misfire codes.
P0134 forward 02 sensor

Now I had all of these...

P1225, P1226, P1227, P1228, Injector circuit cylinders 1-4 short to ground.

P1425 Tank vent short to ground

P1472 EVAP control system LDP short to ground

P1128 Long term fuel trim B1 system too lean with the following snapshot:

fuel sys 1 CL
fuel sys 2 NA
CALC LOAD 14.1%
ECT 168
STFT B1 25%
LTFT B1 25%
RPM 2914
Speed MPH 57

I cleared all the codes, and drove her home. CEL has not come back yet. She is still a bit hesitant and boggy, but I do think resetting the 02 helped some. I'm going to drive her out to a friends house and back tonight (about 40mi round trip) to see if the cel comes back, and to give me some operating time to check any possible codes tomorrow.

I would love any input on these codes and where to go from here. Thanks so much!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts