NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed something. There are very few books that tell the tale of modern-day Beetles built since 1998. Of the few books about water-cooled Beetles that do exist, most are either:

A)Those that were published in the early years when the first New Beetles came out

B)A general history of the Beetle with most of the emphasis placed on the air-cooled models, or finally:

C) Repair manuals

I'd like to see a comprehensive history of just the modern-day Bugs that have been around now for 15 years. (Well, except for the transitional year of 2011, when there was no Beetle......)
You know? Something along the lines of the iconic Small Wonder, probably the best book about the original. Something complete with a history of the model's ups and downs as opposed to just those books that were written when everyone was going nuts to see the first new Bugs for 19 years, color photos, the hobby, shows, etc. Does such a book exist? I'm thinking not, but if anyone knows of one, could you post the title here?

As a writer, I'm seriously considering taking on such a project, particularly if there is nothing else out there. At least an E-book that people could download.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
You should do it pushin, I'm right behind you in age i think this younger generation is really interested in those ebook things. You know it's just not the same as it was when we were young when people would have stacks and stacks of books and magazines and all kinds of material to put our hands on and wrap our little minds around.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
We can all supply photos for you. It might make a great coffee table book for our generation.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
14,056 Posts
I agree with what you are saying; most cut off being written around 2002 at the latest. The air cooled generation has much more documentation and books about the production history changes, development etc.; on the other hand, the air cooled VW's were made much longer then the New Beetle.

I haven't seen any books that fit your criteria; obviously, there is a need for such a book. Here are a couple of books that I have gotten over the years that I have enjoyed. I think some time needs to pass before people start looking at the history more seriously; I also think that the waning of interest in the "retro" concept of cars (which the new beetle could be argued was one of the firsts of this trend) doesn't help. I think sales plummeted quite a bit after awhile and it was hard for VW to generate more interest in the NB as time went on.

VW New Beetle: The Performance Handbook (Motorbooks Workshop) [Paperback]Keith Seume Nice book with allot of pictures; touches on the development of the New Beetle, performance upgrades and seems to reference NB's made until about 01-02 time frame. It would be nice if it was updated; allot of changes have happened since then but Seume touches on most upgrades one would think of doing to a NB.

Getting the Bugs Out: The Rise, Fall, and Comeback of Volkswagen in America (Adweek Books) by David Kiley (Nov 4, 2002) This, I beleve would be the equivelent of "think small" and if my memory serves, discuses the development of the new beetle and talks about how the release of the new beetle coincided with the comeback of Volkswagen in USA auto market.

Some others you might check out:

Volkswagen Beetle Type 1 and the New Generation (Osprey Expert Histories) [Paperback]
William Boddy (Author)

New VW Beetle (Enthusiast Color) [Paperback]
Matt DeLorenzo

The New VW Beetle: The Creation of a Twenty First Century Classic [Hardcover]
Jonathan Wood

Volkswagen Beetle: portrait of a legend Edwin Baaske

There was also a special VW New Beetle Book released by VW when the car first came out; the title is escaping me at this point, I will post up if I can find it.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
I think the org is about as close to a book about water cooled beetles that matches your description as you will get ;)

I would love to see one like you dream of myself. I do love the new gadgets and I have read e-books before; but it's just not the same as hands on wrapping your head around a real book and turning the pages. Guess I'm a little old school on that one. Not that I wouldn't read the e-books, just prefer the real deal. Coffee table books rule and I would so rock one on the nb.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
I think the org is about as close to a book about water cooled beetles that matches your description as you will get ;)

I would love to see one like you dream of myself. I do love the new gadgets and I have read e-books before; but it's just not the same as hands on wrapping your head around a real book and turning the pages. Guess I'm a little old school on that one. Not that I wouldn't read the e-books, just prefer the real deal. Coffee table books rule and I would so rock one on the nb.
??? exactly!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
424 Posts
uploadfromtaptalk1359012608078.jpg

Got one...

Sent from my DROID X2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts