VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17,626 Posts
There are lots of good 1.8T boost leak testing videos on YouTube and you can make your own tester with old tin cans or pvc pipe parts, plus a shrader valve.

In my low or boost hesitating problems, I’ve struggled with; i found my 710N diverter valve to be sticking from being warped by heat and n75 valve to be bad. Replacement of those boost control related parts; restored boost response and hesitation, sluggish boost response was eliminated, replaced by smooth boosting, much better throttle, power response.

I struggled for years, trying to figure out why my boost, was plagued with a hesitation issue, slow acceleration and overall sluggish performance. At that time, i found these parts to be in a “soft failure” mode; working, functional but not at the levels they should be, to deliver normal good engine performance, boost response.

Lately, i have been refreshing a number of aspects of my 1.8T, many parts being original, over 20 yeats old, to get it in top running condition; through investigation, found many old defective parts: hoses, pcv system parts, check valves, vacuum jet pump, hockey puck valve, etc., gaskets and things like injector cups (upgraded to aluminum billet; from plastic, which crack), seals, etc.

As each area, engine sub-system was gone through; parts replaced, updated and improved, my boost seems better and my fuel trims seem to improve, creating better overall drivability quality, performance.

Keep in mind, many aspects of the engine; all contribute, to create, good or bad drivability condition. I’ve learned allot during this process of: 1.8T, diagnosis, testing, refreshing and repair of old defective parts. After 20 years, many 1.8T’s are running poorly and there are many old parts snd problems; are contributing to this poor running condition. The good thing is, if you are dedicated to fixing things; you can restore the performance and fix the many typical issues that plague these 1.8T’s! These are great little engines, make a New Beetle fun to drive; when tuned up and running correctly! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts