NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Turbo Driver
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive the newbie,

but what boost levels does a 2001 Beetle Sport typically make? I also have an Intercooled, Turbo Grand National which is set for 22lbs. of boost. Also, Beetles don't have boost gauges from the factory?

Thanks for any info. Looking at buying the Beetle tomorrow and I was just curious. Thanks

·
Get in.Buckle Up.Hang on.
6,525 Posts
Intercooled, Turbo Grand National Beetle, what the heck is that? :D
Stock 1.8T's get around 14psi, most performance chips give you 19-20psi, adding a boost controller can give u 22psi...

·
Performance Freak
137 Posts
my 2001 AWV engine boosted to 6-7psi stock.

With Revo Stage2 software, I can set it as high as 22-23psi peak with it tapering off towards (about) 12-13psi at redline.
(Not sure exactly the redline boost level since I'm usually not staring at the boost gauge when I get up there)

I have mine set to 18-19psi peak for daily driving, since with the little stock IC anything over 20psi on my car and it was no faster. Just blows hot air at those boost levels.
Where I have it now, it pulls really strong and drops to about 10psi at redline.

Gotta love the SPS3 module that allows me to change the boost levels... a big plus with the Revo software.

·
add a turbo in your life!
8 Posts
boy what i wouldn't do for a 87' gnx very sweet car. i have an o5' beetle and it holds 14 psi stock.

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
hhhmmm if i told u the boost i run u would lauf in my face..... some where along 23-25

·
Keep It Real
1,734 Posts
vwdriver said:
Forgive the newbie,

but what boost levels does a 2001 Beetle Sport typically make? I also have an Intercooled, Turbo Grand National which is set for 22lbs. of boost. Also, Beetles don't have boost gauges from the factory?

Thanks for any info. Looking at buying the Beetle tomorrow and I was just curious. Thanks
The factory 150hp Beetle runs about 9psi of boost, the 180hp Beetle runs approx. 11psi of boost.

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
In other words, claims of 12+ PSI on bone stock NBs is wishful thinking or a malfunctioning boost gauge. :D

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
i run 22-23 pounds with a giac chip. i also have a fmic, 007 dv and no n-75 valve or boost controller.

jd

·
Tinkerer Monkey
72 Posts
Stock Beetle runs 6-8LB of boost. Results may differ depending on individual car and other non-chiped mods.

Limp mode comes on i believe after 22-23LBs. So, that is absolute max one can run. I personally think that anything above 17-18LBs is a waste. No gains and just blows pressurized hot air.

25PSi

PS: Ohh yeah. I am holding 16-18LB in 5th gear all the way to redline.

·
Retro-a-go-go
94 Posts
Red Rider said:
with apr 93 oct chip - peak at 21 level off 15-16. no fmic-forge dv and j valve.
That's exactly what I get with my 2001 AWV. I'm running the same chip but I have the stock diverter valve and haven't changed the yet N75 either, so my response is probably a little different but numbers are the same.

·
add a turbo in your life!
8 Posts
paultakeda said:
In other words, claims of 12+ PSI on bone stock NBs is wishful thinking or a malfunctioning boost gauge. :D
i have hooked up a friend's boost gauge and it read the same. spike at 16psi and hold 13-14psi. so faulty gauge.....i think not. :D

·
175 Posts
My stock APH runs 10 psi steady till redline , spikes and holds to 12psi in lower gears when really getting on it hard. By stock I mean no chip, reflash or boost controller. I have an open air filter and mufflerless exhaust.

·
Keep It Real
1,734 Posts
Limp mode activity will be mainly based on ECU programming, a stock say 150hp 1.8t setup will never make it to 22psi or so for a number of reasons. This engine boosts in the 9psi area and limp mode restricts it to a 5psi max, When software is upgraded and boost is increased, usually the limp mode level gets increase as well.

I haven't seen limp mode with my car in quite some time but when I did I was running an 18psi setup and limp mode limited the engine to 10psi.

With a K04 you begin to lose efficiency beyond 18psi and as 25PSi stated, it ends up blowing a lot of hot air and it's life can possibly be shortened. On the other hand a larger turbo like a T3/super-60 or T3/T4 hybrid etc. is efficient at much higher boost levels but they are capable of producing more power at the same boost level.

The reason for this is because pressure is only part of the equation, if you want to generate real engine power without risking burning up a too small turbo in the process then what you should really be looking for is increased air flow/volume capacity and a colder more dense air charge (larger turbo and FMIC).

What makes horse power is cold air (dense charge) and lots of it (a turbo capable of flowing large amounts of air at lower pressure levels), a larger turbo boosting lower pressure levels is able to flow as much or more air as a smaller turbo boosting higher pressure levels BECAUSE PRESSURE IS NOT FLOW OR VOLUME, unlike the high boosting smaller turbo, the lower boosting larger turbo is adding less heat to the air charge.

The point is that you want to stay within the efficiency range of your turbo and anyother part for that matter, remove any flow restrictions from the system and keep the charge as
cold/dense with as much air volume as possible
. If this doesn't give you the power you want then it's time to install a larger turbo charger, by running 20 + psi on a K04 (not to mention a K03 or K03S), you are just blowing super hot air into the intake and shortening the life of your turbo.

This is no different than those people who think that by turning the sensitivity levels all the way up on a car amplifier or jacking up the EQ sliders all the way they can increase power output beyond the amplifier's rated specs., NOT.

A balance of air volume, cold/dense air charge, boost, fuel and timing is the best way to achieve higher hp & tq levels without giving up drivability, dependability or longevity.

It isn't cheap to do it right, it isn't cheap to do it wrong (you usually just end up paying later).

There is an old saying: "You've got to pay the piper if you want to hear the band".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts