NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sloooooooow Down!!!!
899 Posts
i also have a automatic, but did not get a boost gauge till after nb was apr chipped. After boost gauge install my boost readings are- peaking at 21-23-level off 15 to 16. Am in process of installing bc to bring it down to 19-20 peak. A lot of dot org members are running 20-21 some higher some way higher.

Difference of openion on max- some say 17 others say you can safely run 20-21. Maybe some other .org members will share on this thread.

I found out two things i really needed a boost gauge and vag com. Dont know what you have but you really need boost and vag before looking at boost changes and chipping. I speak from experience on this.

Would like to know ,if you have the readings ,what your boost is running now.

You can order a bc from ric gillis www.boostvalve.com check this out -a lot of good info.

I also found out that it is a little different ball game with a auto trans when you go to chipping or the performance route.

I really like the snap orange color-i looked for one when i was trying to get a nb last spring.

·
Performance Freak
137 Posts
stock boost will peak to 10-11psi and sustain 7-8psi.
best way to up the boost is to get aftermarket software (chip in old terms).
different software will run different boost and timing levels.
most are about 20psi peak holding 17psi tapering to 10psi at redline. (all estimated)
the more aggessive programs will run as high as 22psi peak, but without upgrading your Intercooler, at the higher boost levels, it's just blowing hot air and not making more power.
since the turbo boosts quickly and then has to taper the boost down towards redline, the best boost level is not any specific value, it really depends on what gear, what load, what mods you have to handle the boost/heat etc..

basically just get APR, Revo, Giac, Upsolute or whatever is readily accesible to you for purchase and customer service.
If you search, you'll see all the opinions on which one is better, but they're all very similar really.

I love my Revo programming, they offer a plug in module which allows you to adjust boost and timing levels to your needs. (SPS3 it's called) I found the best levels for my specific car/mods and it runs butter smooth and very fast.

·
Keep It Real
1,734 Posts
The safe limit for your automatic transmission equipped VW cannot be determined by the amount of boost you run, it is the amount of torque being generated that you want to be concerned with because too much torque is what will take out you automatic.

Your best bet for a educated answer to this question would be to ask the people at GIAC and Neuspeed, also question them as to what the specs are on the upgrade software that they offer for your car.

·
Keep It Real
1,734 Posts
The car value to a would be buyer would not change because they would never know the difference one way or another, if you ever decide to put the car up for sale just put the stock program back in it.

It's an individual choice though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts