NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am new here and new to owning a Beetle. I bought it for our teenager and hopefully will introduce her to the forum soon so she can learn about her car. We got a 2004 used with decently low mileage and in very nice condition. I have noticed that the cover boot did not come with the car when we got it home. The boot will not be available from the dealership we got it from since they are not a VW dealer. I have seen replacement boots online for anywhere form $100 to $300? is the boot necessary for use when the top is down or is it cosmetic only?

Also are the aftermarket ones just as good as the original ones???? Thanks,

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Have owned my 2003 since it was new and have never installed the top boot.

Have driven the car for 6+ hours at a time at speeds up to 90 MPH without issue.

I wanted use the boot the last long trip due to high speeds but forgot to bring it with me.

So in short, you really do not need it and I do not think there is an interlock in case you have it on and try to raise the top, not sure what would happen?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Top Optional?!

While a top may be optional, a boot really does dress up your convertible AND gives the top fabric some additional protection from the sun at the same time. I bought a VW OEM top 'slightly used' off eBay for a third the new price and am very happy with it! ;-)

Hi everyone,

I am new here and new to owning a Beetle. I bought it for our teenager and hopefully will introduce her to the forum soon so she can learn about her car. We got a 2004 used with decently low mileage and in very nice condition. I have noticed that the cover boot did not come with the car when we got it home. The boot will not be available from the dealership we got it from since they are not a VW dealer. I have seen replacement boots online for anywhere form $100 to $300? is the boot necessary for use when the top is down or is it cosmetic only?

Also are the aftermarket ones just as good as the original ones???? Thanks,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a bunch everyone.........I found on online from a vw dealership so I will prob pick it up for the teenager for added protection.........

·
Daisy's Mae's Mom
171 Posts
I think boots usually do come with the car along with a windstop that fits above the back seats. The windstop is to keep the wind from being to strong at high speeds. You can actually use the windstop with the windows up and you don't feel wind at all in the car while you are driving.

You can get either one of these at low prices on Ebay and sometimes people on here also sell them pretty cheap. If you can't find them on either one of these places, try your local craigslist.

I do recommend both if you can afford them! :)

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts