NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm completely new here, so I apologize if this has been discussed before, and I haven't seen it yet.

It's time to replace the fuel injectors in my 2002 Beetle with the 2.0L Gasoline engine. I'm at 138k miles, and they are original, and I think at least one of them is not working.

But in researching which injectors to use, I see HUGE price differences in Bosch 62675 vs Bosch 0280155995 fuel injectors.

The Bosch 62675 are the ones that I find most when I look up the "right" fuel injectors for my car and engine, (like autozone, and https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/auto/fuel-injectors ).

BUT they are EXPENSIVE at around $100-200 each, depending on the source, even on eBay.

I see the Bosch 0280155995 remnufactured injectors all over eBay for MUCH more reasonable prices, and some of those listings do say they are "right" for a 2002 Beetle 2.0L

Can anyone here give me some more experienced opinions on this?

I'm really just wanting an economical replacement to make my car reliable. I'm not going for any kind of performance.

Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
13,710 Posts
Have you pulled the fuel rail and tested the flow of the injectors? Have you considered; having them cleaned, it seems to be pretty cost effective, compared to replacement.

What is wrong with the the way the car is running and why do you think, the injectors are the issue? Have you scanned the car; for trouble codes?

Fuel injector testing:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle GLS L4-2.0L (AZG) (2002) > Powertrain Management > Fuel Delivery and Air Induction > Fuel Injector > Component Information > Testing and Inspection > Fuel Injectors For Leaks and Quanity Injected, Checking

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for replying, billymade.

I have not yet pulled the fuel rail, and I have not yet captured any trouble codes, although I know there are likely many. My Engine light has been on consistently.

I've recently ordered my choice for the necessary equipment to fully read what the ECM is telling me. I'll know soon after that reader arrives.

And I wanted to learn more before making the commitment of pulling the upper intake and the fuel rail.

But ignoring the computer, I've concluded that cylinder #2 is not firing at all. It runs just like a complete miss on one cylinder. So, removing spark plug wires individually, and running the engine each time, I've concluded that it's cylinder #2. No change whether the spark plug wire is connected or not. With the other 3 cylinders, the change is obvious.

I've just changed the spark plugs, and then tested the spark coming from that wire on #2. It's a nice, fat, juicy spark.
But after this, the engine still has the same miss.

I plan on testing the voltage pulse on the plug to that fuel injector as soon as I have the next chance, but I haven't been able to get to that yet.

But I decided that I do want to know more about replacement fuel injectors, so that is why I ask here, so that I can order intelligently if I decide I must replace one or all.

I do appreciate your link to the fuel injector testing resources, but in my current situation, I'm really not reasonably able to equip myself to perform a task like that. I believe my best option from a practicality and time standpoint is still likely injector replacement if indeed it is bad.

That said, do you have recommendations on an inexpensive fuel injector that is appropriate for this engine?

Thank you again for your help!

·
Registered
13,710 Posts
I would confirm the injector is bad; you could rent a noid light to see if it is getting a pulse and you could swap the location, to see if the problem travels to the new location. A compression test; could be a good thing to confirm as well:

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...sion_check/system_information/specifications/

For injectors, there are the vw part numbers and the equivelenet bosch ones; which tend to be cheaper. There are allot of used ones on ebay or some places will sell you a cleaned/refurbished/flow matched set.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
billymade, thank you again for your reply. Your points are well made.

I do, however, want to have a fuel injector ordered and arrived before I commit to pulling off the upper intake manifold.

So, can you, or anyone here tell me, is the Bosch 0280155995 fuel injector an appropriate choice for this engine?

That is my first choice for price.

Thank you.

·
Registered
13,710 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again, billymade, for your insightful response. Actually, your auction pictures are hugely helpful.

The existing fuel injectors are 0280155995. But one the reason that I started this thread is that, when I looked online for these, it seems that not all are created equal. Some don't have that spigot I asked about in my previous post.

I've decided that I'll order a 0280155995 that at least looks right, and hope for the best. I'll chance the $20 for the "seller refurbished" one at

Single Unit Bosch Fuel Injector PART # 0280155995 / 0 280 155 995 / 06A906031AC | eBay

This conversation has really helped me get comfortable with this, thank you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts