NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! I have been out of town, so just getting to this project.

Back in the Summer,I brought my 05' VW New Beetle GLS TURBO - 1.8L L4 PFI DOHC to the local VW dealer (I know, dumb idea, but thought they could define the problem and I would fix it). I am pretty confused as to what the dealer is recommending and was hoping you might understand.
I have attached a document for you to take a look at. The Top "Blue" section is where the dealer states 1) FOUND BOTH FRONT HEADLAMP CONTROL MODULES TO BE FAULTY, AND 2) BOTH FRONT HEADLAMP REPLACEMENTS ARE REQUIRED. Do they mean BOTH of the whole headlamp assemblies need replacing as well?
The Bottom "White" schematics section is also from the dealer. When I discussed this with the service mgr, he was trying to tell me Component # 1 (on both sides) needed replacement. I thought #4 was the Headlamp Control Module??? Also, where is component #1 located anyway....This does not look familiar and I cannot find it (J343 or J344) anywhere to purchase. You think this is why they say "Both headlamps need replacing"??? Really confusing.

By the way, I already replaced the drivers-side #4 Control Module and both-side's wiring harnesses a year ago. I bought the Control Module new on Amazon (OEM AL Xenon Pt # 1307329090 and VW Pt # 7M3907391). I understood it would fit any 05-09 VW Beetle, Golf, GTI & Jetta models. But, my wife told me not long after I left town, both headlights just stopped working again.

Not sure what to do here. Thoughts? Thx.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Where are you located; i believe the "HID" lights, were sold in non USA spec Volkswagens but for whatever reason, not sold in the USA vehicle market.

Because of this, we haven't troubleshot these or had many members deal with issues in these. In the past, i believe; some imported new/used HID assemblies from Europe and any related parts, retrofitted them in a non HID New Beetle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks for reaching-out. That is interesting. I am in Kansas City, MO. I purchased the car a couple of years ago from a small dealer in Minnesota. Vehicle records indicate it was manufactured in Puebla, Mexico, but was sold new at a VW dealership in Mesa, AZ. A little surprised you have not come across this more often. Through my research, I have found several US owners that have had problems with the HID headlamps, but generally, they replace either the bulbs or the overpriced Control Module(s)/Ballast and they are good to go. In my case, I am just hoping to make this repair with the smallest amount of continued attempts, so I can get the vehicle to pass the State Inspection and get it tagged. These HID's are very costly to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Do you have a vw scan tool; like vcds by ross tech? Many electrical failures; related to, specific modules, can throw a vw factory trouble code, giving you info on what might be the cause, of the problem.

As to the HID's being installed in a USA spec New Beetle, it wouldn't be the first time i was wrong about something like this. I haven't seen any myself, they seem to have typical halogen incandescent bulbs installed but i have noticed, the service manuals; have shown this as something that was factory installed or possibly a option? I just didn't think, they were i installed here; in the USA.

That being said, let us know; if you have access, to a vw specific scan tool and we can go from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do not, but am checking with a friend who might. I agree, the trouble codes are where I should start.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello Again...Well a buddy of mine did have a scan tool, but it was the AUTEL AutoLink AL619. He did say this was not one of the more expensive scan tools with much deeper scanning capabilities, but nonetheless, I connected it to my VW Beetle and found the following error codes: (Also, see attached Picture #1)

P2181 ($10) - Cooling System Performance

P2626 ($10) - O2 Sensor Pumping Current Trim
Circuit/Open Bank 1 Sensor 1

Picture #2: I provided a few shots of the dash and how the Front Lights are working so far.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,628 Posts

The Autel 619 seems to be another scan tool; that has typical obd capability:
II coverage and claimed abs, srs, airbag code reading capability:

This scan tool, does not seem to have factory level vw coverage; that would be needed to pull factory vw codes for things, like troubleshooting/testing the hid headlight system. One, would need a scan tool solution, like vcds by ross tech; which is essentially, a clone of the factory vw 1552 scan tool.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
If you want to try to fix the headlight problems yourself, without the benefit of a scan tool like vcds; I would start with the basics: get a circuit tester and/or multi meter. Then start testing each related part is good: bulbs, fuses, and relays. If the parts test good; then keep searching through the wiring harness for power and once you find power, then some component or wiring harness failed or is damaged, not allowing the electricity to get to the head light bulbs.

There is not magic, silver bullet or short cuts to troubleshooting electrical problems like this; do things in a step by step logical manner and through a process of elimination, you will find the cause of the problem.

Considering the high cost of vw dealer service parts; any needed parts, can be sourced, as good used replacements, from a junk yard or pick/pull type place, plus there are german/vw junkyards online you can request parts from, finally, there are tons of parts listed on places like ebay and this can make your repairs affordable. Good used parts can be sourced; it may take some research Nd time but many new beetle's are being junked these days, parted out.

Let us know, the results of your visual inspection, testing and troubleshooting the headlights; then, we can go from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds good. I appreciate the direction. I have both the circuit tester and multimeter, but admittedly, this is where I'm a bit inexperienced.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Don't psyche yourself out or over complicate things needlessly. Pull the headlight assemblies: check the bulbs for continuity (good or bad?), check the circuits to the bulb for power, confirm the fuses, relays are good, have power and then keep looking for powered circuits; until you find it. At that point: something in between the good power to the headlights are the problem, then you need to find what parts are the problem, a process of elimination.

Lastly, assuming the vw dealership diagnosis is correct; you just need to replace the bad parts, search for parts needed used, replace them yourself and the needed repairs will be substantially less expensive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts