NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need the bottom drivers side m latch (the part where to top hook latches down into) Apparently there are two kinds of this latch and unfortunately I have one of each.

The trouble I'm having is that the drivers side somehow is not clamping down tight enough causing a very annoying creaking that is driving me nuts while the passenger side is great. The ONLY difference I see is the black plastic (with red circle) one is square and the other is more rectangular.

Square = BAD Rectangular = GOOD.

I'm also noticing that the hole is wider on the screwed up side than the other.

If anyone is parting out a vert, I'd be interested in this part.

Thanks

David

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Think this will solve your problem!

I don't think it is that easy. They should be different, the passenger side has the sensor to confirm the top is latched. The annoying creaking you refer to is probably what others call a rattle. VW has a TSB on this. Little rubber bushing that go on the pins. A couple dollars at the Dealer.

More information in this thread -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-beetle-convertible/49379-drivers-side-rattle.html#post725624

MORAV

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still wonder if the hole being elongated oval-like instead of round like the other has anything to do with it? Believe it or not the dealership didn't have the rubber grommets in stock, however they ordered them for me.. I also ordered the bottom latch just in case to take a look at it and compare it with what I have. (I won't have to pay for it if I don't need it.)

Believe me this annoying 'creaking' noise is driving me CRAZY!!! :mad: JUST WANT IT TO STOP!!!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The elongation is by design to accomodate any slight tolerances between the pins and the latches, swapping out the elongated for a round will probably result in the inability to close without putting something in a bind.

Keep us posted as to if the rubber pieces resolve the issue.

M.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Roger!!

OMG, I was so desperate to get rid of that noise that I ordered also the left latch. Just for the record the new latch was identical to the right with the rectangular plastic piece that seems to give a better seal then what I have. BUT since the 2 rubber grommets were just $1.25 each I tried them first... THAT did the trick. For the 1st time since I bought the car it's finally quiet!

Thanks again. :D

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Thank you Roger!!

OMG, I was so desperate to get rid of that noise that I ordered also the left latch. Just for the record the new latch was identical to the right with the rectangular plastic piece that seems to give a better seal then what I have. BUT since the 2 rubber grommets were just $1.25 each I tried them first... THAT did the trick. For the 1st time since I bought the car it's finally quiet!

Thanks again. :D
BIG smile for ya', Buddy! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts