NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a guy with a 2000 2.0 non turbo beetle, I saw a 2010 post suggesting that the 2.0L should have a FDC or FDG transmission. I saw that the FDG's only difference to my FDC is the amount of plates in 2nd and 3rd gear. Anyone know if this will still work in my car or if I should attempt a rebuild of my own transmission? Thanks.

·
Registered
702 Posts
After rebuild or transplant the 01m is still junk. The only sure cure for the frighteningly abysmal 01m transmission is a 5 spd manual swap.

·
Registered
12,687 Posts
What exactly is wrong with your tranmission? I would diagnose the issue first; the typical issues are: wiring harness issues, failures sensors, sticking solenoids in the valve body (rebuild is the typical fix), etc. A scan with a VW specific scan tool; like VCDS by Ross Tech, can be helpful to view live data and read trouble codes. Have you positively identified; which tranmission, you have? We have seen many fixed; that don't require a total rebuild but until you diagnose things, you don't always know, for sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not diagnosed it, just bought it from a guy who had it at a vw specialty shop and says it's slipping in 1st and second. It was the shop who told him it needs a rebuild, swap or conversion to 5 speed. But you have a good point, I should diagnose further. My scan showed 2 transmission related issues but after reset they cleared. I have only moved it a bit since so I'll check tomorrow. My transmission is an FDC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts