VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im new to the forum but not vw's. I would greatly appreciate any advice. I recently bought a 2.0 new beetle for very cheap as its been stood for up to four years. Its in surprisingly good condition. I was told by the previous owner it was parked up due to financial problems and everything worked except the speedo and elec windows. With this in mind i spent some time un-siezing the brakes, changing the oil and draining and replenshing the fuel in the tank. The car had no battery on it when i bought. Finally happy that i could fire it up i bought a new battery. With the battery fitted i gave it a crank. It started, ran for a second or two and died. I noticed a light with picture of a beetle and key flashing and started searching immobiliser problems. At the same time i plugged an ebay scanner in but could not communicate with any ecu, i tried a laptop with vagcom via usb, no communications and bluetooth via android scanner, also no communications. I mentioned these issue to a garage owning friend who recommended unplugging the dash, cleaning the contacts and trying again. This is where the plot thickens. When i went to remove the dash i became apparent someone had been here previously. All the screws were finger tight at best, with the dash out i notice someone had soldered two wires directly onto the circuit board with a red led between them. This made me question wether the owner knew more than they were admitting to. The contacts in the plug are poor i now have to hold the plug in a sweet spot to get the mileage to display ( mere 63k ) and the starting/immob problem is still present. Any ideas why someone would solder an led in there or how to fix the starting / communicaton problem?
Sorry for the wordy post, no quick way to describe my issue. I can take some pics if that would help.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
1) What year is the car?
2) Does your car have an aftermarket radio?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
bummer

Bummer it sounds like a difficult one to diagnose. I would start by using an digital ohm meter and ohm out that particular wire you're referring to and see if they were trying to provide a chassis ground or a plus voltage (12vdc) to the panel. who knows what they already screwed up or were trying to do. This could get Ugly real quick..LOL :eek:hnoes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi yeah its looking like a tough one for sure, they've put a l.e.d on the end of the wires, it's on when the ignitions on.

Update: to make matters worse i was in a car crash this morning. Ruined my Audi A4 avant sport into a broken down Pajero. Had sun in my eyes immediately after a blind corner, didnt even see it. No one was hurt, luckily, Audi did its job and took one for the team.

So yeah, the Beetle, could do with fixing that! Im gonna go and have a look at at it again tomorrow, maybe take some pics. I think i need to try and establish why my scanners can't connect.

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
led

Hi yeah its looking like a tough one for sure, they've put a l.e.d on the end of the wires, it's on when the ignitions on.

Update: to make matters worse i was in a car crash this morning. Ruined my Audi A4 avant sport into a broken down Pajero. Had sun in my eyes immediately after a blind corner, didnt even see it. No one was hurt, luckily, Audi did its job and took one for the team.

So yeah, the Beetle, could do with fixing that! Im gonna go and have a look at at it again tomorrow, maybe take some pics. I think i need to try and establish why my scanners can't connect.

Thanks for the replies
In electronics terms you mean a light emitting diode? led? if so than it sounds like they just wanted light or an indication of when the engine was running or the ignition was on. takes pictures if possible so we can better help ya out.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
What year, model, engine and trans; new beetle, are we talking about?

If the plug; at the speedo cluster is messed up and has a poor connection, that will probably cause the immobilizer to kick on and the car won't start.

As noted above; if you could take pictures, of the areas you are referring to... maybe we can help you in a more intelligent manner.

The immobilizer; resides, in the speedo cluster, if it is messed up... the immobilizer can kick on and cause a no start condition. At that point; you can get the speedo repaired, replaced or have the immobilizer deleted from the ecu.

Obviously, it would be nice; to read codes and figure out, why you cannot communicate with the ecu.

Here is a common issue with aftermarket stereos:

Ross-Tech: VCDS: Afterrmarket Radio Problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its a 2000 2.0 manual

There is definitely a bad connection at the plugs on the back of the cluster. Since i removed the cluster i have to apply pressure to one of the plugs just to get the odometer to display the mileage. I will go and take some pics shortly...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts