NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

i picked up a non running 99 beetle 2.0 thinking i'd do an engine swap or rebuild.

now that I have it home i'd like to diagnose it properly before tearing into it....

the seller thought that it had a spun/burnt crank or main bearing because he could hear it squealing as it spins down.

with that said, I'm not really sure whats going on with it. as it sits, it will turn over and almost crank. it tries to fire several times and almost starts up but never runs.

sound wise, i dont hear anything abnormal.

so at this point i'm wondering how to tell whats going on with it.

I need to check compression, spark and fuel. also would like to know how to check the timing (can these engines 'jump' timing without bending valves?) are these cars OBDII?

any ideas how to diagnose it?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,173 Posts
Have you scanned the car for codes?

Yes, the car is OBDII. Any car from '96 on is. I would scan it to start with.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,173 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. The codes I got were:

Po1544. Manufacturers code

Po121. Throttle position sensor/switch A circuit range/performance problem

Po510. Closed throttle position switch malfunction

Would either of the throttle position codes cause it not to start and run?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok...found the problem with the TPS. turns out the connector was completely loose. I reconnected it and cleared the codes. now I'm getting no codes but still having the same problem; the engine will crank but want fire. It will start to fire and cough and spit but never really catches.

I switched the crank position sensor with another used one but no change. and still no codes?

also, disconnected the fuel line just before the regulator and the fuel supply seems fine.

now I'm wondering what to try next?

is it possible that something could be off with the timing? Timing belt stretched? skipped teeth? or ????

any ideas?

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
Check your starter. It MAY have gotten damaged with the PO trying to repeatedly cranking it.
How long has it NOT been driven? Days,weeks,months...etc? Flat gas (low octane) :confused: Water in fuel?

Check your fuses.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Very possibly,the timing belt could be the issue.
I am the second owner on my 99, & I just barely replace my timing belt last year, it was the original, and it had a hundred fifty thousand miles on it! You can do a visual inspection on it, after removing the top timing cover,its very simple. I am so happy to have found this site, as I was blissfully unaware of my own timing belt issues! As for the starting, I always like to spray a little bit of brake cleaner,or carb cleaner,or starting fluid,into one of the vacuum ports. Just in case there is a fuel delivery issue beyond what you have checked. :)
Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
timing belt alignment as well as compression check are my next steps.

is it possible to check the fuel delivery on the 'other side' of the fuel pressure regulator?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had just enough time at lunch to pull a couple of the plugs and check compression.

no.1 - 150lbs

no.2
- 120lbs (did this one last and was running out of battery so I doubt this is accurate - still not crazy low or zero)

no.3 - havent checked yet

no.4 - 148lbs

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Seems no updates.

A couple of items that could have been done? Using a caliberated (yeah I know me spellin' stinks) spark tester would show if the cars ignition system had enough "Kick" to fire the plugs.

Tapping it with a few short blasts of starter fluid would show if the car had a fuel delivery issue. Short spray into the intake...and if it starts and runs? Start looking at fuel system issues.

And it's not impossible to pull the timing inspection cover off and seeing if the belt is toasted. Sure it'll be harder to visually 'see' the marks. But the compression on 3 of the 4 cylinders is good--so I'm not sold on the timing belt being the issue (but it probably will need replacement regardless)

This sounds like the prior owner fired up his/her shade tree and was in for a rude awakening on how interconnected all the parts of this car operate. Heck, could be as simple as rodents getting into the harness and chewing up a couple of wires.

S-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts