NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Before I get started I hope their is someone here in Middle Tennessee I could phone with in case of troubles. My neighbors NB GLS 2.0 automatic died at a red light according to them. The dealer wanted a small fortune to fix it as they said it was the timing belt. I have built several mustang engines(mostly 302 roller) and this thing seems odd compared to what I normally would take apart. I bought it for 500.00 and took the timing cover off yesterday (the two clips on top) to look down in the cover with a mirror. The belt is intact but kinda loose with teeth shaved off. I am going to attempt to take the head off this weekend to check for piston damage but they assured me it was when they tried to take off at the red light it died. Sounds like the belt may have slipped and jumped time? Maybe just some bent valves? Where is the best place to get a complete head? Thanks for any info

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
How many miles on the car?

Sounds like something happened. Maybe the tensioner failed. Either way, sheered teeth on the belt isn't a good situation. I'd just take the had off and see whats up. You may just be dealing with a few bent valves (luckily, the 2.0 is an 8 valve so not too much to fix there) and hopefully since it was at idle/low speeds, not too much other damage.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts