VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My g/f just bought a new 2010 beetle and to me it feels excessively under shocked on the front end. This thing bobs up and down like a ring tailed pheasant doing a mating dance. At night it looks like you are trying to signal aliens, the head lights are bouncing off the trees. Compared to my Mini it's unacceptable, even compared to my Camry with 180,000 miles on it, it's unbearable. Any opinions? Thanks, Dale

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
I haven't driven a new NB, but on my 11 year old '99 my ride is pretty sturdy still. No bouncing. It sounds really floaty to me. If you are that concerned, you can always have it looked at under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
I agree. I have driven a lot of New Beetles, but have not experienced signaling aliens before. :D

Really, have a tech drive it and see what they think. :)

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
I felt the same way about my stock suspension while others thought it felt tight. I thought it felt like a wallowing mess. I tossed those cheap undervalved shocks in the trash.

If you want to maintain the stock springs and not lower then your 3 options are Koni FSD, Bilstein HD and Bilstein TC.

If you have the cash go FSD and never look back. The HD makes for a firm controlled ride and the TC a bit softer as you would expect from a Touring Class strut.

You can find all three on ecstuning.com. Good luck and keep the rubber side down.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Love the stance! Hate the poke and stretch.
I can't stand wheel/tires stretched like this.... It's like a gnat's a$$ stretched over a rainbarrel. It should be outlawed, just like those high rollers. 30" wheels don't belong on a box Chevy. :rolleyes: All are a safety issue.

If you get chased by someone in a high roller, just do a lot of u-turns. It takes them 6 tries to get turned around. I died laughing at a guy trying to turn into Burger King, it took him 4 tries, back and forth. People were blowing the horn at him, because he was backing up traffic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info and the affirmation. I'll try a set of the TC's first. The other night, just backing out of our driveway, the tiny ripples in the pavement caused the headlights to scan up and down on the garage doors. I was going 5 mph tops! Maybe they are defective, it seems so extreme. I will update later with results. Thanks all....

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
Thanks for the info and the affirmation. I'll try a set of the TC's first. The other night, just backing out of our driveway, the tiny ripples in the pavement caused the headlights to scan up and down on the garage doors. I was going 5 mph tops! Maybe they are defective, it seems so extreme. I will update later with results. Thanks all....

Hey, did your dealer remember to remove the blocks in the suspension? They've been forgetting quite a bit lately.... Go take a quick look! Its keeping the springs from compressing and making the ride very solid and not letting it bounce and be smooth.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FI-Bug...are these pieces about 5/8" thick, 3" around and wedged under the bottom of the strut? If so, you nailed it....TIA, Dale

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
FI-Bug...are these pieces about 5/8" thick, 3" around and wedged under the bottom of the strut? If so, you nailed it....TIA, Dale
No thats not it. Thats normal. The thing i'm talking about looks almost like this wedged between the springs...

yes thats a toe seperator, but thats all I could find lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here isn't a pic of this mystery piece, apparently I can't upload it here. My email is [email protected] if anyone wishes to email me so that I can send it for an opinion. I've put in a lot of struts in the past and have never seen anything like this. It exposes the strut to the elements by preventing the boot from sealing tight on the bottom, just doesn't seem right. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: yes the factory installs clamps on the struts when Beetles are shipped and yes sometimes the dealer forgets to remove them. They are as I described above and are only put on Beetles according to the sheepish apologetic service person I spoke with.

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
Update: yes the factory installs clamps on the struts when Beetles are shipped and yes sometimes the dealer forgets to remove them. They are as I described above and are only put on Beetles according to the sheepish apologetic service person I spoke with.
Feel free to upload your picture here by using the "manage attachment" button. That button can be found by using the reply to post button or the "go advance" button when posting. Very simple process. :)

Did that solve your problem?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, what a diiference. I drove the car for the first time this morning since removing the "strut clamps" as I call them. I just can't believe that no one who drove the car at the dealership didn't notice this. I honestly knew there was something wrong before we left the parking lot. Anyway, it's fun to drive now, handles excellent. I'll try to attach the picture using your suggestion. Thanks...

Attachments

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
Wow, what a diiference. I drove the car for the first time this morning since removing the "strut clamps" as I call them. I just can't believe that no one who drove the car at the dealership didn't notice this. I honestly knew there was something wrong before we left the parking lot. Anyway, it's fun to drive now, handles excellent. I'll try to attach the picture using your suggestion. Thanks...
Hey, thanks a bunch!! Glad to hear you're getting a good ride now :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's EXACTLY what was causing the unbelievably HARSH ride in my 2009 Salsa Red Vert with 34k miles. 2 dealers missed these things. ALL VW NEW BEETLE OWNERS EXPERIENCING A JOLT WHEN GOING OVER A PAVEMENT EXPANSION CRACK OR A MINOR BUMP SHOULD CHECK TO SEE IF THESE BEAUTIES ARE STILL THERE! My wife and I couldn't believe VW would make a car with such a poor front suspension. We've been blaming it on the low profile tires! THANKS A BUNCH! The car is a joy to drive now on a harsh road!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts