NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 VW New Beetle - GLS - 2.0L - 5 speed

Why does some vacumm hose line in the Beetle have that braided fabric on the outside? Specifcally I'm thinking the small piece on top the of the engine that goes from the fuel pressure regulator to a port on the intake manifold (left side of manifold).

Is it some kind of heat protection? Other kind of special protection? Stuff is hard to get. 2 VW dealers wanted me to buy "5 meters" of it b/c that's how it comes from VW parts warehouse. Piece I need is like 8" long.

Thank you,
George

·
Registered
303 Posts

Why does some vacumm hose line in the Beetle have that braided fabric on the outside? Specifcally I'm thinking the small piece on top the of the engine that goes from the fuel pressure regulator to a port on the intake manifold (left side of manifold).

Is it some kind of heat protection? Other kind of special protection? Stuff is hard to get. 2 VW dealers wanted me to buy "5 meters" of it b/c that's how it comes from VW parts warehouse. Piece I need is like 8" long.

Thank you,
George
Not real sure about the questionable(IMO) benefits of the braided lines...but I would recommend replacing them all since the vehicle is 12 years old. The lines get dry/cracked and can leak beneath the braided covering causing issues. No need to use the OEM braided stuff...standard lines from the auto parts store will work fine and will be much easier on the wallet.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
X2 on replacing all the old rubber hoses, braided or not.

The braided line is VW OEM type which the cloth covering is suppose to protect from heat. They still won't last as long or protect from heat as well as silicone type hoses. I replaced all my hoses with Hose Technique silicone hoses and never looked back. It really doesn't matter what you replace them with. VW OEM or silicone. Just be sure to replace them and save yourself a lot of headaches in the future.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts

Thank you,
George
5 Meters are they NUTS! That is app 197 inches or 16.4 feet. They are crazy. Just buy regular type 4mm rubber hose or if you can find it silicone hose. Most autoparts places sell that stuff.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
... 2 VW dealers wanted me to buy "5 meters" of it b/c that's how it comes from VW parts warehouse. Piece I need is like 8" long. ...
Some dealers do this, it is an out of stock ploy; what typically happens is the customer pays for the "standard lot size", but only gets the desired length they want and in return the dealer keeps the rest. So the customer pays to restock the dealer ship.

I get my braided hose from German Auto parts dot com and in 1 meter lengths; even with the shipping it is cheaper than the dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts