NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. We recently bought my girlfriend a 2000 2.0L Beetle; it did have some issues. I joined the forum to ask you guys for help and share my experiences with the car.

MAIN PROBLEM:
Right now her driver side rear running light does not light up but the brake light does when I step on the pedal. I changed the bulb with a new one and swapped the light socket/connector with the working passenger side but still no luck.

Anyone else ever had this issue? What was the issue and fix?
I'm not sure exactly where the brake wires lead or where to check for maybe a split in the wiring..?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Another issue is the headlights turn on as soon as I turn the key and when I turn the light switch on to illuminate the dash lights, the high beams come on.. I hope my words make sense to you all.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
As for the headlights, I would guess both low beam bulbs may be burned out. On these cars if both low beams are burned out, then the high beams will hang and the relay will not switch back to low beams.

The bulbs should be H1 bulb. Because the Daytime Running Lights are bright on these cars, the low beams burn out about every 2-3 years and one bulb goes, the driver does not realize this, then the other buld burns out shortly after the first bulb burns out.

As for the rear light problem, many times the problems are with grounding.

I would get a test light and check to see if the problem is with the ground or power side of the light.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
Sorry by headlights I ment the low beams.
So as soon as I turn the key the low beams turn on. And when I turn the switch for the low beams and interior/dash lights all the way on, the high beams turn on.

And would you happen to know the path that the wires go to for the rear light? I haven't had the time to get under or take apart the car to check.
Anyone have a diagram handy?

If testing at the connector, which pin is which(+ running light, + brake light, - ground)?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Are 100% the high/low beam switch on the stalk is not pulled back?

Low beams come on as Daytime Running Lights when the ignition is turned on.

The high beams are controlled by the turn signal stalk, pull it back toward the steering wheel.

Not sure the wire routing, would not worry about this until you know if the problem is a ground or power feed.

You can always just add a temporary/supplemental ground easily.

You can just test with a spare ground an see what happens.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts