VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 VW Beetle 𝘛𝘶𝘳𝘣𝘰 𝙎 (Black) & 2001 Audi 𝙏𝙏 quattro 225 (Amulet Red)
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I need help 😞

I have a 2003 Turbo S 1.8T AWP

For quite some time, I’ve had an issue where my brakes lose power when I have to quickly switch from the accelerator pedal to the brake pedal, or, for example, when I have the car in cruise control and need to step on the brakes. The pedal only stays hard for a second, then goes back to normal. One day, my power brakes stopped working entirely. I noticed that the vacuum hose going into the brake booster had popped off, so I pushed it back in and kept driving, but I still had the same problems. After a while, I noticed that this hose was actually cracked, so I replaced the hose part # 1C0612041AA.

Yet, it’s still doing the same thing, and it’s only getting worse…

The car is idling high, and sometimes rough, and I’m getting codes P0171 (system too lean) and P0507 (RPM higher than expected). I can still hear a vacuum leak near the brake booster, but the hose is in tight. I tried spraying brake cleaner in that area but it doesn’t change the idle. I was thinking there’s a leak somewhere in the mess of vacuum lines under the intake manifold, but I don’t hear any leaks under there, it’s clearly coming from the booster.

I just need the car to pass emissions, but more importantly, I want this resolved!!

Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Definitely sounds like a worn booster. But before replacing, with a zip tie check if there’s any brake fluid in the booster (pull out the pressure check valve) if there is replace the master cylinder and booster. I’ve replaced boosters and later had to replace the booster and Showbox master cylinder.

·
Registered
2003 VW Beetle 𝘛𝘶𝘳𝘣𝘰 𝙎 (Black) & 2001 Audi 𝙏𝙏 quattro 225 (Amulet Red)
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely sounds like a worn booster. But before replacing, with a zip tie check if there’s any brake fluid in the booster (pull out the pressure check valve) if there is replace the master cylinder and booster. I’ve replaced boosters and later had to replace the booster and master cylinder.
Thanks for the reply!

I actually ended up replacing the booster just today! It was indeed cracked, causing the vacuum leak. It certainly was NOT at all fun. Hopefully I won't need to replace the master cylinder. I didn't see any fluid in the old booster after I threw it on the ground and it split open!

Reactions: billymade
1 - 3 of 3 Posts