NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
New Beetle Lover
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry if this isn't in the right spot, but I couldn't find a forum just for brakes.

I need to replace the rear passenger caliper in my '00 GLS Bug. There are apparently two different types and I don't know how to tell the difference, other than one is listed at 36mm and the other is listed at 38mm.

Without removing the wheel and caliper, is there any way to determine which one is for my car?

Thanks!

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
as far as i know there is only one size of rear brake rotors and calipers on all nb's. unless they've been upgraded for the 2.5's in 06?

i dont know what size they are though

·
New Beetle Lover
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, there are two different sizes, based on the size of the piston in the caliper. There were two slightly different sizes for the '00 Beetle, like I said, a 36mm and a 38 mm. But I don't know how to figure out which is which without taking it all apart. The garages I have been at today seem to be able to tell based on the VIN or the production date, but I have no idea how that information determines the size.

·
9,487 Posts
i have never heard anything about that at all. i seriously think someones giving you wrong information.

the only difference there is in 98-05 beetles is that the front calipers and rotors are bigger with the 1.8t. everything else is the same.

ECS and GAP say so
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-New_Beetle--2.0/Braking/OEM/ES1520/
http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/New%20Beetle/Brake/44/1

but autohausaz shows a split in the vin:
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=fg3c5q45upnvlc32skiwpwvc&[email protected]&[email protected] &year=2000&[email protected] & Wheel Hub&[email protected] Caliper

that's the first that i've heard of it. they probably swap easily. i know my 99's rear calipers parking brake froze in the cold, maybe the revision remedies it?

·
New Beetle Lover
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Three different garages and two different auto part stores ... all asking the same questions - and apparently the driver's side caliper is different somehow than the passenger's side as it is listed and priced differently. This would not be an issue if these garages weren't trying to charge $700 - $800 for a brake job. But they are and I am not paying that much, so I am having a friend do it for cost of parts ... if I can get the right part.

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
I THINK (underline think)

That if you had 15-16 inch tires its the 36mm or the 17 inch tires (did they have 18 then?) Its the 38mm stock.

I dont think its because of the size of the tires but the options installed when you got premium tires.

·
New Beetle Lover
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I THINK (underline think)

That if you had 15-16 inch tires its the 36mm or the 17 inch tires (did they have 18 then?) Its the 38mm stock.

I dont think its because of the size of the tires but the options installed when you got premium tires.
In looking at the autohausaz listings, I have discovered that it is two slightly different body styles that makes the difference.

Here are the two types ... although I still don't know which on is for my car. I need to look at it in the light of day tomorrow ...

·
9,487 Posts
you don't need to look at it to find which one, autohaus tells you where the vin splits.

For models with chassis serial number through 414262. 1 per car.

For models with chassis serial number from 414263. 1 per car

that number is the last 6 of your vin. it's that easy.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Three different garages and two different auto part stores ... all asking the same questions - and apparently the driver's side caliper is different somehow than the passenger's side as it is listed and priced differently. This would not be an issue if these garages weren't trying to charge $700 - $800 for a brake job. But they are and I am not paying that much, so I am having a friend do it for cost of parts ... if I can get the right part.
Got mine rebuilt for $325. That was the rebuild, brake pads and a flush. I would seek another quote if you are having issues with the parts.

·
Are Friends Electric?
372 Posts
If it's not to late to add a comment..... When I go to Napa or to VW parts department their only questions are "Which engine? Year? Vehicle?" They do not ask for VIN.

·
9,487 Posts
Yeah, but there was a vin split in 2000. I asked around and supposedly vw switched manufacturers for the calipers. They're totally swappable though. If one has a bigger piston than the other, then yes you'd want them the same size. But other than piston size, they use the same rotors, pads, carriers, etc.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts