NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to swap out my summer wheels to my stock wheels for winter & found out why my passenger side front was squeeking. I found that my upper caliper pin was stripped out in the holder & the bottom one was cross threaded. I went to Autozone & got new pins & a kit that included a tap & thread inserts/helicoils. Tapped both holes, put the inserts in, and was fighting to get the pins to thread in. I even tried the old pins. Nothing worked so I removed the inserts & got the bottom pin to hold, but the top pin just won't tighten up. I grabbed the extra insert & the better of my old pins & was able to thread the pin in that one so the size is right, M8 x 1.25, but can't for the life of me get them to thread on the car! I'd love to get this buttoned up before noon today so I can watch my Bears game. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using AutoGuide.com App

Attachments

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Tom. Yeah, I used the tap that came with the kit, threaded in the inserts, had issues putting them in, so I removed the inserts & tried to just thread in the new pins. Bottom one tightened but the top is loose as a goose.

I just got back from Autozone & they returned my old kit & gave me, believe it or not, a 3/8 16 kit to replace it. I have a feeling the pins are actually M9 x 1.25. Going to tap the holes again & cross my fingers that this does it.

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Returned the ASE set because it was way too big. I'm hoping Napa will have something tomorrow or I'll have to hit the boneyard for a new to me spindle or hope the dealer or my VDub mechanic friend has a good suggestion. At my watering hole watching Da Bears right now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts