VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the passenger side brake/signal bulb a while back and they seemed to work fine. Last week, I had my wife do a couple drive-bys so I can see what it looked like rolling down the road.

As she drove by I noticed that the passenger brake light worked but was not as bright as the factory bulb on the drivers side.
I replaced both bulbs with a set from my local auto parts place (Sylvania Long Life) thinking that there must be a difference between a factory bulb & an aftermarket replacement.

Got both swapped out and the passenger side is still less bright. The turn signal brightness is fine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Off the top of my head; a dim light can be an indication of a bad or another burned out blub and/or some resistance somewhere between the electrical source (battery) and the blub.

You could clean all the bulb sockets and check the taillight wire harness. You might want to check you side marker lights as well.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...You could clean all the bulb sockets and check the taillight wire harness...
Finally pulled the taillight & checked. When I wiggled the connector the brightness changed. I pulled the socket apart & gave it a good clean up with electrical spray cleaner. I also checked the wires going into the socket & one looked a little crimped. I straightened the wire & looked for any breaks or tears and it was good. Put the socket back together, applied the brakes, wiggled the wiring harness to see if it changed, and all is well again.

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts