NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I hope that someone can help me. My brake light went out a few months ago, I've had the light replaced 3 times. Each time I replace the light it goes out again after 5 or 10 minutes. I'm desperately trying to find out what's wrong and what I need to do to fix it. Someone told me it might be a lose connector, or I need a new connector or something. I don't know much about cars so I have no idea what so ever. Please someone help. I need an inspection sticker, so I need to get this fixed ASAP! Thanks!

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
Hey everyone. I hope that someone can help me. My brake light went out a few months ago, I've had the light replaced 3 times. Each time I replace the light it goes out again after 5 or 10 minutes. I'm desperately trying to find out what's wrong and what I need to do to fix it. Someone told me it might be a lose connector, or I need a new connector or something. I don't know much about cars so I have no idea what so ever. Please someone help. I need an inspection sticker, so I need to get this fixed ASAP! Thanks!
Replace the socket the bulb goes into. Its $27 at the dealership. I forgot the part number off the top of my head, but if you go to the dealership, just tell them you want the socket for the brake light and they'll know what you're talking about. Or, while you're at the dealership, take it in with you and they'll give you a new one.

But yeah, what happens is the bulb is a 2 filament bulb, and the socket has 2 contacts in it. Well, the corroded contact for the brake light actually eats away at the bottom of the bulb you have so it no longer can make contact. Thats why your lights are on at night with your headlights, but they don't function when you step on the brakes.

The replacement is simple. Same thing as changing the bulb, but next, just pull off the socket after you get the old bulb out, put in the new socket and bulb, and you're done :).

I did this on my beetle already and I haven't replaced a single brakelight (other than the top middle one) since. The picture is somewhere in Titan's thread, but the original one was a very yellowed color vs the new one being almost a fresh shade of white. If i find the picture, i'll post it in here for you :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts