NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted this as part of another thread, but I'm getting confused and thought I'd ask again...

I just replaced both tail/stop lights with LED replacements instead of 1157s. Now I'm getting a flashing glow plug warning light and my cruise control stopped working. I have read in the old forums that a common cause of these two symptoms is a faulty brake light switch. I have tested the brake light operation and all three brake lights are working perfectly. Could the difference in resistance between the old standard bulbs and the LEDs have anything to do with the warning light? Maybe triggering a fault condition when all is really OK? I guess I could pull the LEDs and find out, but I really don't want to go through that again just yet...

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I picked up a set of standard bulbs during lunch today. I'll swap them out tonight and see what happens.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
I have heard in the past of LEDs in the tail lights needing an addition resistor or capacitor or distrifibulatorgatorbator in order to work right. I am not an electronics guy, but i remember alot of things. I have heard that the people who have the LED tails needed to mod the wiring back there. Not even sure if this is true, but i thought it could help.

I may be 100% wrong.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds typical. I love the car, but it sure is a pain sometimes to perform what should be basic maintenance... After wrestling with the headlights and taillights for over three hours last night, it looks like I've been in a fight with a cat (and lost!).

I did discover something a little unexpected while working on the taillights, though. The cavity inside the rear fender is full of styrofoam! I may have to hollow out a bit of it and make an onboard cooler!:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts