VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know why but my brake light keeps flashing here and there. There doesn't seem to be any rhythm to it. Just basicly when I start her up about a minute or so in the light comes on and she starts flashing and beeping & then it goes out. Continue to drive and it happens again a few minutes later...?? The brakes feel really good and the fluid is full in the master cylinder. Any ideas...???

Thank you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No codes Billy. My father said to jump out the sensor on the master cylinder for low fluid, which I tried and brake light still beeps & flashes... A quick google search someone said parking brake sensor but I don't see anything under the armrest console attached to the e-brake handle...??

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
If you have the emergency brake on and drive the car, it can cause the brake to flash and beep. Maybe the switch in the emergency brake is bad or sticking?

Please give us the basics of your car: year, model, engine and transmission. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found the switch for the e-brake handle which is somewhat under the lever, black push button type. It's two wires so I'm going to jump that out next to see if it's the culprit. That'll be tomorrow.

It's a 2004 Convertible 2.0 Not sure of the transmission but I believe the motor is BGD according to the vin when entering it into the scanner.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Here is a diy; to get to the switch.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/42865-e-brake-diy.html

If you had a vw compatible scan tool, it could have a trouble code for a bad switch. I recommend a vag 401 from amazon.com or the ross tech vcds.

If you can get to it without taking everything apart; you might try spraying some electrical contact cleaner, see if it can get the switch clean. I could see; a bunch of junk or a possible soft drink spill, causing some problems. I have successfully; cleaned some sticky and intermittent connection issues with switches on our cars, its worth a shot! :)

I use this cleaner with excellent results: (under $5 at Walmart)

CRC 5103 Quick Dry Electronic Cleaner - 11 Wt Oz.

https://www.google.com/?ion=1&espv=...+5103+Quick+Dry+Electronic+Cleaner+-+11+Wt+Oz.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So jumping out the e-brake button only sets off the same "BRAKE" warning light on the dash but constant.

Not connected or not jumped would be the same as the parking brake lever down or off.

As soon as I start her up w parking brake lever button disconnected about a min in the same "BRAKE" warning light comes on flashing accompanied w a beep.

Another quick google search said to check fuse #9 ABS 5A fuse... I did and it was fine. Put it back in and flashing & beeping "BRAKE" warning light is gone...?? Possibly a bad connection...???

I'll report back if it's not the solution.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My buddy has a pretty good scanner. Snap-On Souls Edge. It goes pretty in depth, yet nothing on brake codes.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
If you see yourself; working on your vw yourself and keeping the car for awhile; I would recommend the VAG 401 on amazon.com. It is a cheap solution @ $50; it has similar capabilities to the more expensive VCDS by Ross Tech ($250-$350).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So a quick drive to the car wash and "BRAKE" warning light flashed accompanied w 3 beeps numerous times. So bad connection @ fuse was not the problem.

The wheels on the car allow me to see straight through to the calipers and pads. The pads still look relatively new since I just did them a few months ago. However, I pulled every wheel to make sure something wasn't screwy and I did find that one of the drivers side front pads does have a low pad sensor. I pulled the caliper and pad and upon further inspection I noticed it's two wires directly into the pads material. Instead of being straight into an area near where it should trip towards the rear, it looks like whoever manufactured this pad had too much to drink during a liquid lunch. It was inserted into the material all kinds of crooked tripping the "BRAKE" warning light totally before necessary. I jumped it out and took her for a short spin to grab a bite to eat and so far so good. It's my daughter's car so some more driving should confirm if this is in fact the culprit. I will report back. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts