VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just realized that my two brake lights don't light up. The center light functions properly. Checked the fuse, looked at the bulbs, (both good, but I replaced them anyway). No change.
I'm guessing that there is a wiring problem somewhere. Anybody have a wiring diagram (and routing info)? Does the wiring go to the center first, and branch to taillights (I doubt it, but it would probably make things easier if it did). Strange that they'd both go at once- seems to indicate a system issue, like bad wiring in the circuit. BTW, the 7528 bulbs have 2 little nubs, one on each side, and each is set at a different depth. My socket,(one of them, at least) is designed for nubs at equal height (I measured them with a depth gauge). It was impossible to get the right side bulb in (left was no problem), until I helped it with a modification. This is a 98 Beetle, nearing 15 years on the road, so I expect things to start falling apart, but the bulb fit in and worked all this time without incident.
Any advice on this issue? Diagrams would be most appreciated.
Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can both sides fail simultaneously?

My contacts look nice and clean, but I'll give them a once over to make sure they are OK. Not sure how contacts on two lights could fail simultaneously, unless they work in series somehow.(anybody have a diagram?)
A new wrinkle: after fiddling around with the lights last night, this morning I gave my lights an inspection before I hit the road. My right turn signal now cycles rapidly (ticka-ticka-ticka)
while my left still cycles at normal speed (tick,,, tock... tick... tock). Not sure how this is related, but I doubt it's a coincidence.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I took a look at the wiring diagram for the '98. The brake light circuit is pretty straightforward. Just the brake pedal switch that operates all three lights directly. The left and right brake lights share the same ground with the side markers, turn signals and back-up lights. Take the bulb out and use a voltmeter to check for voltage with the pedal depressed. That should determine whether it is a socket or circuit problem.

The emergency flasher switch is also the turn signal flasher, so that could be the source of your turn signal problems. The wires running out of the turn signal stalk into the steering column are also prone to chafing and causing shorts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brake lights functional, on to the flashers

Well, I pulled the sockets out, gave them a bit of a cleaning, and I pulled the terminals up a bit (used a garbage bag tie to loop under and gently pull each one up).Turns out that solved the problem.:) Not sure how both bulbs in place failed simultaneously, but I guess it WAS a coincidence, after all (House would never buy that diagnosis). I think I'll just buy another flasher to see if that cures the rapid right side syndrome. Unlike most things on a beetle, the flasher is remarkably easy to replace.
(FYI to future readers--Just pull out the emergency flasher switch and pop in the new one)
Thanks for taking the time. Sometimes the simple solution really is the correct one, even with a VW :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
two break light no work 3 workink?

a had the same problem check fuse break swich and bulb everythink are ok look wires and looking good im realize the 3 light work I look for the ground are located under the trunk lock I remove the plastic piece and close to budy is a orange wire attached the screw was losed I tire up resolve my problem I post this to help someone with the same problem good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts