NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So my left and right brake lights on my 2001 Beetle are not working but my third brake light is. I have checked the fuses and bulbs and they are fine! I鈥檝e asked around and looked into it but haven鈥檛 been able to figure out the issue. Is anyone experiencing the same thing??
Thank you 馃槉

Registered
Normally, the brake light switch; would be the typical issue but since your third light is working, it sounds like probably something else. I would be checking for power at the bulbs; a simple circuit tester is a way to check for power or use a multimeter. It is not uncommon, for the bulb sockets; to get hot and this causes them to get loose, which then may result in a bad connection for the bulbs. I have ended up, having to replace; a number of bulb sockets, as mine, kept intermittently not working as they should with good bulbs.

A basic circuit tester, should be inexpensive and sold at any auto parts store; then, a multimeter would measure voltage as well.

A helper, can push the brake pedal; while, you check for power or jam, something on the seat/pedal, to keep the brake lights on (I have used a broom stick or piece of wood; using a towel, to protect the seat upholstery).

Registered
The bits of metal inside the socket can be bent slightly to tighten the bulbs up, if the overall condition of the fixture is still good. (not melted) if you try that do it with a piece of wood or plastic or you鈥檒l blow a fuse. (Pencil or pen)

Registered
The brake light bulbs have two filaments. One for braking the other when you turn lights on. Make sure they are both there and not just one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts