NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning when I pulled into work, my right brake light in the back wasn't working. It wasn't working when I left work either. I could see through my mirror in the car and the windows on the building.

Now when I got home, I had my right blinker on and it was lighting up the way it was suppose to.

So does the brake light and the light for the blinker, not the same light bulb or something?

·
Registered
120 Posts
$4 part and 10 min or less of your time with a flat head screw driver vs taking it to a shop or a dealer and there gona be way overpriced. Just my 2 cents. I had a brake light switch recall done at the dealer and I asked the to preform the recall to fix the lights and they also replaced the bulb which was an 8 dollar part and apparently I took 38 dollars of my money to fix something that was so easy.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Here is how to change it. all you need is a small srtight scew driver abd some tape for the tip.

Tape the tip of the scew driver so it won't scratch the paint or plastic
Use the screw driver to pop off the round cover inside the truck on the burned out side.
Edit_2013-02-03_1.JPG
Loosen the knurld nut and remove it and the washer.1,2 and 3 in picture one

Edit_2013-02-03_2.JPG

To remove the light use the screw driver blade where at the line where the fender meets the bumper. Lay the screw driver flat and push it in the area between the light and the car body
there is a clip there wich shoud release and let the light come out.You don't have to push hard you just want to unclip the light from the body
Follow the rest of the instructtion to replace the bulb and reinstall the light.
Edit_2013-02-03_3.JPG

Edit_2013-02-03_4.JPG
You can do it and save some money.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The same brake light went out a few months ago. My coworker told me about it. I took it to the shop that I normally take my car and they had difficulty removing the lid. They messed around with it and then it was working again until NOW. So my paint was chipped a tiny bit. I'd probably be too nervous to do it myself. I'd be afraid of messing it up.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
You probably would be more careful than others since it is your car. Personally, I rather trust myself doing things to my car than anyone else. I know how I treat my car but I have no clue how someone else is going to.
As the saying goes. If you want it done right you better do it yourself ;)

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Those instructions fail to mention that you have to push the light housing from the center of the car side of the light towards the outside of the car to pull it out. It kinda hooks in on the outside and the inside just pulls out when you push it towards the outside. I broke my light trying to get it out from the outside instead and had to go to a junkyard to find a replacement. On the up side, I LOVE going to junkyards :D

Other than that lack of info, the light is super simple to replace.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know if you're still having this problem, but my weird light problem was fixed by replacing the actual bulb housing. Grim must have had some work done previous to my owning him, as his turn signal bulb housing was the wrong one. It's possible your local shop did the same, perhaps?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts