VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2000 NB 1.8t

When I slowly let go of the brakes the front wheels (left and right) groan. Same happens right before coming to a stop. There is no noise when braking at a higher speed. I recently changed the brake pads, rotors, replaced brake fluid, and greased the guide pins with silicone. This groaning noise was happening before the changes. What could it be?
I thought it might be the calipers but while the car is parked there is no noise when stepping on the brakes.

I can record the problem if needed.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Based upon what I am hearing; when you are stopping/going forward with the brakes.... it sounds like the pads/rotors grabbing/releasing. What brand and rotors did you buy; it may have something to do with the characteristics of the pads you are using? DId you clean the rotors with brake cleaner; before you installed them? I wonder if your pads/rotors; have not "bedded in" yet? It can take some time; for new rotors and pad to "bed in" with full stopping performance. Rotors and pads; can become glazed and they don't stop, grab well. I would also; make sure that the plastic/rubber vacuum line, from the engine to the brake booster is not undone or cracked (a common problem, as these cars age).

Here are some bedding in techniques; you might try.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...pv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=how to bed in brakes properly

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There seems to be lots of different ways to bed in brakes, I've been driving normally in city streets. Noise hasn't changed at all. What I don't understand is that this noise was there before the pad/rotor change.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
video

saw the video and it seems like your caliper pistons or a piston is stuck, not releasing back. I would put the car's front end on jackstands and then try to duplicate to diagnose which one or both are doing that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It doesn't make that noise while the car is in park. I would guess if the piston is sticking it should make that noise while parked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts