VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the front pads and rotors on my 2000 Beetle. Much cheaper than paying the garage to do it. After everything is reassembled on the driver's side, the rotor doesn't seem to sit straight and I can see it deviate from true at the same spot each time it turns. Just a slight wobble, but enough to hit the pad and make a scraping noise every rotation. Even after I torqued the wheel back on, the noise is still there. Brakes work and the noise stops when the brakes are applied, but I can hear the scraping again when braking less than 10 km\h. Then the noise starts up when I accelerate again. I thought the rotor was warped, so I returned it and the new one does it too. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Check for rust on the hub and on the inside of the wheel where it mates with the rotor and hub. I usually scrape the mating surfaces with a putty knife before I put them back together.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I had this problem with our '04 Pontiac Vibe. It turned out to be the aftermarket brake pads. After futzing with it for several weekends, I finally broke down and bought OEM pads. The scraping noise went away. I've never had this issue with aftermarket brake pads before.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wire brush

I used a wire brush on the hub to get all the rust off before putting the second rotor on. It cleaned up nicely. Can I put a thin piece of metal on the hub before installing the rotor? Maybe cut a piece of a soda can to try and get the rotor to sit flat? I can actually see the rotor touch the pad once every time the wheel rotates. I had the car up on jack stands and started the motor to watch the rotor turn.

Thanks for your replies.

·
SUNKIST
14 Posts
After what you said of wire brushing the HUB to clean everything off and installing a new rotor I would look at the rotor itself, it might appear to be straight but the mating surfaces between the hub and rotor might not be true. Do not try to compensate for a possible manufacturer error. These are your brakes, safety first.

·
Registered
15,616 Posts
You could try swapping the new brake parts to the other side; if the sound is replicated and switches to the other side as well.... then you know its the parts for sure. If the noise remains on the same side even though the parts have been switched; something is wrong with the hub or the mating surfaces of the noisy side. Sometimes auto parts aren't made correctly; fitment issues are just not quite right and cause problems. I have seen the holes where the lug bolts go into; are just not machined correctly; ever so slightly, so they won't let the rotor fit perfectly flat. It is not a uncommon problem; we have had rotors, pads etc.; that no matter what you did were just not correctly made and in some cases, we had to get a different brand altogether (getting another set didn't fix the problem). We have run into this; especially when getting parts from some of the cheaper brands and parts stores. If you stick with the better oem's from Germany; like zimmermann, ate, meyle, etc.; you should have better quality and fitment.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
rotors

If these are new rotors and sound like they are warped, you might want to check in replacing the calipers. The last time I had a problem like this I had to take my rotors back to the parts place twice to have them resurface them and they specify they were strait but everytime I would put them back in the vehicle they would right away start to sound wobble, I couldn't believe it but finally the problem went away when I replaced the calipers. I talked to a mechanic friend and he specify next time not to let the brake pads wear down all the way to the bottom or the caliper pistons get rust behind it and the calipers needs to be serviced thoroughly or replaced. He had seen that before in his 10 years of previous experience. Good luck folks....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts