NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everybody!

It’s time to replace the pads, front and rear. I’ve done this hundreds of times on other cars, but it’s my first time on the Beetle.

First, what are some recommended types of pads? I mean, should I go strictly OEM, semi-metallics, ceramics, or what?

Second, if the rotors aren’t noticeably grooved, should I bother having them turned or replacing them? On my Maxima it’s strongly encouraged to do one or the other, never to put new pads on a “used” rotor.

Lastly, I see some brake pad sets that have NO sensor wire, and some that only have one: doesn’t the New Beetle have TWO pads with sensors…one on each front?

Thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Be ready, the rear calipers need a special tool to push the piston back in. CARQUEST has a really good deal on their ceramic brake pads for about the last 6 months. They are about 35 dollars a pair. It is always good to break the glaze on the rotors, whether you do it buy a small grinder wheel or have them turned a little bit. Be sure to bed in your new pads also.:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! I've already got the "caliper reset tool", or whatever they call it. I just didn't know if I should go ceramic, metallic, etc., or whatever brands are good.

Any other input, folks?

Jack

Be ready, the rear calipers need a special tool to push the piston back in. CARQUEST has a really good deal on their ceramic brake pads for about the last 6 months. They are about 35 dollars a pair. It is always good to break the glaze on the rotors, whether you do it buy a small grinder wheel or have them turned a little bit. Be sure to bed in your new pads also.:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I put Power Stop slotted and drilled rotors along with Evolution ceramic pads and the car stops rather nice now.

See picture below of what the rotor looks like.

The anti rattle clip in the caliper at the time I took the picture. It was put in after the picture.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts