VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the original owner of my 2K 1.8t . Most of the time this car was driven by my wife . I am now driving this car more since it is semi retired . Since driving the car I've noticed that the brake travel seems excessive. The car stops fine and the ABS has recently serviced and brakes replaced , and bleed using a vagcom several times , but there just seems to me to much brake travel compared to my other cars. Is there some type of adjustment for the brake pedal or other Ideas about this . TX.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Maybe, get a tape measure and see how many inches, from the floor the brake pedal is. With this info; some of us, can measure ours and compare to your situation.

I know; that the brake booster can affect things and when the brake pedal actuates, check the hoses and one way vacuum valve for leaking or damage.

I would also; check the brake master cylinder for any leaks.

Did you replace the rotors when you did the brakes or are they originals, that you turned (were they measured; to the factory wear spec)?

When it comes; to brake pedal height, different cars seem to have different "feel" and when the brakes start grabbing. I'm not aware; of adjustment, aside from the master cylinder push rod or the emergency brake cables but those shouldn't' affect when the brakes actuate.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tx. Ill check these things out a little later its getting cold and nasty around here!.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rear calipers/e-brake adjustment can have this effect. Try putting on the e-brake then stepping on the brake pedal and see if it improves.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok with the engine off pump the brake pedal. Does the pedal pump up or remain the same? Second when the- and if the pedal pumps up just hold pressure on the pedal. Does the pedal slowly go down?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to check those hoses over the weekend if the weather isn't to nasty . Pedal stayed hard after 'pumping " the pedal a few times .

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Not only are the hoses and sucking jet pump a possible problem, the brake boosters may be starting to fail on the earlier cars.

Many of the 1999-2005 BMW 3 series are having power brake boosters fail and start to leak after about 10-12 years. This is not uncommon because the rubber starts to harden and will crack on the folds and flexible joints. This can cause a vacuum leak for the engine, rough idle and cold start problems as well as reduced brake power assist.

Often you can hear hissing under the dash on the drivers side if you listen carefully enough for the sound. Often it may sound like a small fan running. Putting the car in neutral and revving the engine or slowly tipping into the throttle on a long uphill grade you will hear the vacuum leak gradually disappear.

Not sure the Beetles are having this problem yet, but keep this in mind. Higher underhood temps can cause failures earlier in some models.

·
Registered
16 Posts
In my experience from my 911 days if you are able to pump up a brake pedal (engine off) I would redo the brake bleed as there is more than likely still some air in the system. I use a pressure bleeder set at 10psi

1 - 13 of 13 Posts