VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 TDI beetle has a brake problem. When I start it for the first time of the day the brake pedal feels rock hard. I press on it and It doesn't move and I don't have much brakes. In reverse, it takes about 10 yards to stop it while idling backwards. Once I stop it and put it in drive it has brakes. If I go back to reverse, it has brakes. So it looks like it just doesn't have brakes when it first starts. I have tried to start it with my foot on the brake and with my foot off of the brake. I have also started it and revved the engine before I backed up. I have sat there before moving for a very short time, but it doesn't work.

Tonight I backed it in. I will see if it has brakes if I go from park to drive after it sits all night.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
A common problem; is the vacuum hose, from the brake booster to the engine will crack, leak and cause the brakes to not work as they should. Check the hoses and see if they are broken or disconnected.

It is #12 on this diagram and make sure; the check valve is working as it should. It should be free flowing one way and not the other.

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle L4-1.9L DSL Turbo (BEW) (2006) > Brakes and Traction Control > Power Brake Assist > Vacuum Brake Booster > Component Information > Locations > Brake Booster and Master Cylinder Assembly Overview

Check valve location and troubleshooting/testing info:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle L4-1.9L DSL Turbo (BEW) (2006) > Brakes and Traction Control > Power Brake Assist > Vacuum Brake Booster Check Valve > Component Information > Testing and Inspection

Aside from a vacuum leak; at the brake booster, I would look for any fluid leaks from the: calipers, master cylinder (inside the car; near the firewall/pedal) and brake lines. I'm thinking; the problem is brake booster related and not hydraulic but check everything, just in case.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts