NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Some say............
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals. Elwood's getting ready for new brakes. I don't wan't to go with stock, so I want to update a bit. I was thinking of EBC Green Stuff pads, but a friend of mine wasn't that keen on them. I looked on ABD and Neuspeeds websites and they both sell a brand called Metal Lux. I've never heard of them, what do you guys know about them. I'm also open to feedback on other brands too. Thanks all!

·
Keep It Real
1,746 Posts
Are you planning to use the factory brake rotors?

·
2008 "Fowvay" yellow NB
574 Posts
I have mintex red box pads on my car with ECS cross drilled and slotted rotors. They perform well but I am not happy with the amount of brake dust I get on my rims. I wish I had EBC green stuff. The most common complaint I have heard about them is that they squeal a lot. I think this is easily remedied with proper use of some anti seize goo. (I think that's what that stuff is called.)

·
Eine Kleine Panzer
210 Posts
I have had ECS green stuff for 2 years and I am very happy with them, very little dust and great grip.

·
Just because!
3,712 Posts
Herbie3Rivers said:
no, I'm not planning on using the stock rotors. I want to get cross drilleds, but man are they expensive.

Just keep your eyes open. I got a full set, front and rear, brand new Brembo cross-drilled rotors in sperate transactions for $120 total which included (expensive) shipping. I'll be putting them on once I need new pads.

·
I wish I had a shop
15 Posts
I've been using EBC green stuff's for year and a half now and they are so much better than OEM's. Couple of my friends who autoX go by them too. But I've heard good thing said about Mintex as well so you might want to check them out as well.

·
Some say............
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help gang. I think I'm going to go with the ebc green stuff pads and brembo rotors. I'm gonna try pricing them through my buddy's body shop and see what kind of deal I can get.

·
Everett Street in May
3,207 Posts
Don't overlook Hawk Pads.. Lot's of places sell them, but these are the pads that a lot of club racers (i.e paying out of their own pockets) swear by (not at).

They are very price competetive and really hold up to long periods on the track. Significant performance, plus they do manufacture the pads meet OEM design standards (e.g. wear sensor).

Biggest diff between them and a "Green Pad" is that these will not glaze during slow, stop and go driving.

Some (not all) ceramic pads will glaze up due to the low heat values of local driving. Ceramic pads were designed first and foremost for heavy track use (fyi).

Just something to think about....TechnoTrix'd...:wave3:

·
Registered
32 Posts
ECS Tuning sells their Slotted / Crossdrilled rotors by the pair, and they're made by Brembo. I got 4 rotors, plus pads for my NB for a total of $340 shipped, about 45% cheaper than VW.

Quick question about the Mintex Red Box pads, do they glaze at all? It seems like my braking performace has degraded since I put on the new rotors / pads in the front, but perhaps I need to bleed the system before anything else.

·
Get in.Buckle Up.Hang on.
6,525 Posts
Thank Gawd, finally a modification thread on the new ORG! :rolleyes: :D

It seems that no one really makes a "perfect pad". I run the Mintex Red Box and yeah, they work GREAT, but produce a lot of dust. I thought about EBC, but I don't like the green color :p . I read that the Hawks need a bit of heating up to really be at 100%, yes, no? :confused:

·
Everett Street in May
3,207 Posts
Hey Bill, in my personal experience, they (Hawk pads) have been good to go right out of the box. Now, 4k of street driving, and a couple of Auto-x events later, still getting the same kind of reaction and gripping power.

Also, they seem to be a low dust compound.. Much cleaner than the OEM ones...

TechnoTrix'd...:wave3:

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Crossdrilled looks great, but I found it just couldn't keep up w/my needs. I guess I threshold break alot.

Mintex were nice; didn't get ALOT of dust from them; and they stopped me fine. But they do glaze after a while; sanding isn't a bad idea.

EBCGreenstuffs I've only had on for 'bout 1000 mi. They've got some KILLER stopping power. I hear they're brutal on rotors; so I got some cheapy autozone rear rotors, and some oem TT front rotors.

Before changing to the TT size; I tried ATE powerdiscs (atom groove) and Zimmerman crossdrilleds; had the zimmerman's deep freezed even. I stuck w/red box for both sets of those rotors (I've never run a mintex red box pad out btw; always last a LONG while). The Zimmerman's lasted about 20K before warping. I got them resurfaced once, but they were hard to resurface & it didn't last long again. The ATE's were nice, they lasted a good 40K or so before really being worn out. But they still went the way of the warp. Appearently I don't wear down rotors; I just chew'm up & spit'm out?? Or maybe it had something to do w/that glazing... I dunno; probably a little of both.

I'm on front rotor set # 4. Rear set #4. With the Zimmermans & ATE's I swapped the fronts to resurface & when they'd warp I'd swap again. Used each twice really. Didn't really last all that long, just gave my friend plenty of time to play with them.

Anyway; just sayin' I've torn through brakes like mad... and there's what I've learned. Crossdrilled and slotted just aren't worth it for performance. They look nice though. Weight reduction/ gas handling yeah yeah... solid faced, vented rotors seem to be the way to go for me.

The EBC Greenstuff's are loud. I didn't use a backing goo, as the box said they didn't need it. They squeel but whatever. They stop like a ton of bricks. :D And really; that's all I'm askin' for. Comfort's nice, but I don't mind loud brakes if they stop me like they do.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Brake hardware changes...

I have used the EBC green stuff pads with the stock rotor and had warping. I changed the rotors to the EBC dimpled and slotted rotors and found that they also warped and were extremely noisy. I also found that with the EBC pads and all high performance type pads, the pads must be heated up for the best stopping action. I then returned to the stock VW rotors and pads for my 1.8 T. I noticed the initial stopping or gripping of the rotor was much quicker with the pads cold or warmed up by normal driving. I really think that for normal around town and highway driving the stock pads and rotors are the best as far as price and speed of application. They do fade faster than the high performance types, but will take extreme braking from extreme speeds for many more cycles than you would imagine. Juditial use of the brakes when braking from a high speed is the key for less heat build up... I have yet to warp the stock rotors with the stock pads in use... I have given them plenty of opportunities to fade and warp, but they remain as new. The stock pads also wear longer than high performance pads( naturally). If you race or rally, high performance brake components become cost effective and a must, but for all around driving, the stock set-up is the very best. JK

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
I have had zimmerman cross drilled rotors and EBC green stuff pads on my bug for over two years and I am still totally in love with thier performance.

I have done stops full threshold braking stops from well over 100mph with zero fading, I have done tons of late braking on back roads and in the mountains, I have abused them at 115*F to -5* and have had excellant results.

I have tons of pad left both front and rear, my rotors are still round and true, there is no cracking and I havent had a problem with glazing...

I know that there was a batch of zimmerman rotors that seemed to crack and warp very quickly but since then there haven't been any complaints that I have seen.

I can not recommend this combination enough for every day driving.. plus I get almost no percievable brake dust between washings.

Tom aka Fowvay

1 - 15 of 15 Posts