NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2002 NB with an automatic transmission. The brakes, both front and rear, will need to be replaced soon. I live and drive in the city (Pittsburgh). Are there any brands of rotors and pads better suited for city driving? I take the bus to work so I don't do a whole lot of driving. I have put about 6,000 miles on the car in the past year.

Thanks,

Patrick

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Well, you have a lot to choose from. My personal favorite are drilled Zimmerman rotors with EBC greenstuff pads.

The drilled rotors are somteimes critisized because they can crack when under high and long term stress, like on track days, but it's no problem when using under normal road conditions.

The great advantages with Greenstuff ias that they don't give as much dust and that they are more "controlable". Stock pads bite hard and then fade, Greenstuff bite smooth and then they just give more and more untill the wheels lock up, every time :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
We have a large selection of replacement rotors and pads available, our RPS (Rotors, Pads, Sensors) Kits offer free shipping to the lower 48:

Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 > Braking > OEM

I'm personally a fan of the PBR Metal Master Pads and use them on my personal cars. We have a few different options for rotor and pad combos at the link above.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
For the type of driving you specify. I'd recommend "whatever the parts store stocks", maybe something of a ceramic nature, as they're more low-dust than organic pads.

Light duty city driving, means you can get by with very little, and it'll do just as good of a job as a nice brembo setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts