NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I’m about to go to a junkyard to get new brakes for my beetle, and I’m trying to figure out what vehicles I could pull them from and still be able to use them on my beetle. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
11,908 Posts
This thread; goes over the various sizes, on the mark iv platform:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Used because I need to save money, and I’m writing this because I’m trying to figure out what size I need.

·
Registered
11,908 Posts
Zimmerman is the oem for vw; i also have a 2002 new beetle turbo s, i went with zimmermann and they were identical to the originals:

Online catalog:

ZIMMERMANN Brake Disc COAT Z
Fitting Position: Front Axle
Brake Disc Type: Externally Vented, High-carbon, Coated, Outer diameter: 288 mm, Thickness: 25 mm, Min. thickness: 22 mm, Height: 34,4 mm, Hole Pitch / Number: 6/5, Bolt Hole Circle Ø 1: 100 mm, Hub Bore Ø: 65 mm, Appr. stamp: ECE R90 APPROVED
Supersedes:
Normal

ZIMMERMANN Brake Disc COAT Z
Fitting Position: Rear Axle
Brake Disc Type: Solid, Coated, Outer diameter: 230 mm, Thickness: 9 mm, Min. thickness: 7 mm, Height: 40,6 mm, Hole Pitch / Number: 6/5, Bolt Hole Circle Ø 1: 100 mm, Hub Bore Ø: 65 mm, Appr. stamp: ECE R90 APPROVED
Normal

The odds of finding the right size brake oarts at a typical junk yard; i
maybe pretty slim, as they were only on the turbo s new beetle but also in the jetta gli and gti golfs.

If your rotors are not warped and causing pulsations; turning/machining them, might be a option and pair them with a new set of pads. Check the total cost of new vs turned/machines used parts, turning service fees and see what is most cost effective.

If you are keeping the car long term; vendors like fcpeuro, offer lifetime warranty, on their parts.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,991 Posts
I was always a fan of new rotors, but the ones on my mk7 were giving me a lot of pulsing even though they were relplaced 10k prior before I bought the car. I had them turned at Oriellys and it was only $20 for both my front rotors and the problem was gone.

·
Registered
11,908 Posts
Early on, when my car; went out of warranty, my front discs developed pulsation issues and these were the original rotors. After reading this service bulletin; I figured, I would go ahead and machine them, hoping to save some money, in the process and it seemed, to be a common issue, thus the service bulletin being issued.

Main takeaway, that I noticed in the TSB:

Brake Disc Inspection

A detailed brake disc inspection is needed to determine if the brake disc should be machined or replaced. Inspect brake disc friction surfaces on both
sides of the brake disc for:

^

Severe discoloration (bluing)

^

High heat surface damage (raised hard spots)

^

Visible cracks

Brake discs showing any of the above described conditions MUST be replaced

After having them machined and I went on a trip to california; the rotors, ended up pulsating again and they were even worse then before! Since that experience; I always replace them and this has served me well. I've always been told to replace warped and pulsating drums or rotors; whether there are "hot" or "hard" spots, in the metal, etc., is a open question. In this case, I ended up spending more money; on trying to machine the rotors, get new pads and then they warped again, ultimately ending up having to replace everything with new parts. Everyone's situation can be different but in my case, I would have saved money in the long run, by just replacing everything with new parts to being with. Lesson learned; I go with all new brake parts now (in particular; when the rotors/drums are warped/pulsating).

So, far, I have had excellent results with both the front and rear Zimmerman rotors I installed (stock vw pads); they were identical in every way to the originals, down to the stampings and the nice "Z Coat", that keeps them from rusting. I'm sure, there are other brands that are good; I was being conservative and sticking with oem. Researching pads and rotors; was like getting sucked into a black hole and the reviews, seemed to be all over the place with many negatives like with the high performance EBC stuff or Power Stop, etc. The stock pads, while long lasting; do have allot of brake dust, FCPEURO seems, to recommend a combo of Zimmermann and Akebono pads, which have low dust. When I have replaced the pads; I noticed the originals were marked as TRW being the oem. I would welcome and like to hear; about rotor/pads combos, that people have had good luck with. Thoughts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After reading the posts here, I'm still not sure I have an answer...
To re-establish where I am coming from: I already know I need to replace the rotors on the front left, and the back right, and since I'm doing 2, I'm going to go ahead and do all four. My question is this:what cars can I pull rotors(and pads) from and stick them on my beetle? I'm not really looking for amazing quality for right now, I just need to get the car on the road for starters. Also, it does not have to be from the OEM, I just need to know how much variety I am looking at for replacing my brakes.

·
Registered
11,908 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Referring back to something you said, @billymade:
"
The odds of finding the right size brake oarts at a typical junk yard; i
maybe pretty slim, as they were only on the turbo s new beetle but also in the jetta gli and gti golfs "

Are you referring to the OEM brakes here?

I guess I've been asking the wrong question here. Can you tell me what size, or sizes, of brakes will fit on the front and back of my beetle? I should be able to find cars with the right size parts if I know what size I'm looking for.

Also, I supposed now would be a good time to say sorry for the disjointed appearance of this post.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,991 Posts
Judging from this, the Turbo S has the same brakes as other mk4 1.8Ts and Vr6 cars. So any Jetta or Golf/GTI with those motors should work. VWVortex.com - The brakes of the MK4 platform - OEM and Upgrades

But again, if you are replacing the rotors, why the junkyard? They may be bad from there anyway. Why not just give turning a try? It was really cheap to get mine done. Should be $40 give or take to get all 4 turned and then you have the right parts from the start. Pads I could see getting decent ones from the junkyard, but I'd be more wary of rotors. Mine felt fine to the touch but gave me some serious pulsing on braking, so you aren't going to always know if they are good by look/feel.

And to billymade, not sure on the brand of rotors/pads. I didn't look at them when we had them off. It was done at the dealer I bought the car from before I even looked at it. No clue whey they even did it...the car only had 40k on it so they should have been fine. They started giving me issues probably only 5k later. They looked like quality parts but I wonder if they even did the install right. I know that the bolts on everything weren't tight...my husband decided to go through and lube up everything and found I was missing a bolt on my drivers rear caliper, so only 1 was holding it on! And that bolt, along with most others, were loose. And they destroyed the dust shields in my rear calipers on both sides (looks like they just manhandled them open vs using the proper tools) so we have a rebuild kit to try on them. So yeah, in my case, it may have just been poor installation that ended up causing my problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2000 GLX had the same size rotors (front and rear) as my 02 Turbo S. I was expecting to see larger brakes on the TS. However, braking is more effective, probably due to wider tires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When you say GLX, are you referring to a Passat? Also, if you happen to know them, can you list the specs of the brakes you used?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts