VW Beetle Forum banner

Brake Upgrade

12K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Nashman28 
#1 ·
Im Tryin To Upgrade My Brakes But I Don't Have Much Cash For A Fantastic Setup, I Was Thinkin Of Getting Slotted Brakes The Same Size As Stock And Getting Some High Performance Pads. Anybody Got Any Ideas On What I Should Do Or What I'm Gonna Is It Gonna Be Good.
I Don't Have Crazy Hp Just A Chip, Turbo Back Exhaust, N75 Valve, Intake.
What Should I Do

#2 ·
Slotted or drilled rotors really won't increase your braking ability, it may help in the wet a bit.
Changing the pads will make the biggest difference.
Also, replace the brake fluid with a good high temp fluid like Super Blue. And always flush every 2 years not matter what.

The best bang for the buck is pads.
Also, there are many cheap Brembo knock-offs on Ebay, so be careful what you buy. Getting OEM quality from a good supplier is worth the extra $$$.

#4 ·
Do what I did for now man, Zimmerman drilled rotors, Mintex Red brake pads, and paint the OEM calipers, cheapest way to go, big difference in looks and stopping power...:cool:

Attachments

#5 ·
I run Zimmermann x-drilled rotors and EBC green stuff pads all around. Less dust than stock and great bite. It does take a couple of stops to get them up to temp, but heat up fast.

One step up is to buy audi TT rotors and caliper carriers and use them. That gives you a 12.1" rotor in the front and retains your stock caliper and pads. I'm going to do that when I need brakes...or when I get too itchy ;)

#7 ·
This best bang for your buck and probably the best performance for brakes would be go to TT225, R32, or 337 brakes. it is mainly going to a larger rotor, upgraded pads, and changing the cairrer. It will stay with the stock piston for the front brakes.

I would not recommend going with any stage II or larger systems out there as your braking will be decreased. What people fail to realize with those systems is that the main part of the braking system is the ABS pump and there are no performance ones out there.

I am running the TT225 front brakes and I have personally notice a huge difference or just stock size drilled, drilled and slotted, and performance pads.

#8 ·
If u got ~ 600 to 800 bux do front TT brakes. Can not be beat as "Cheap" setup.

If not then get brand new quality BREMBO rotors (Brembo brand or VW, VW are brembos anyhow.) and get some nice pads, EBC Green is not bad, but may squeck a bit. Or get Carbotech pads, those are great. http://www.carbotecheng.com/appguide-pads-vw.htm Bobcat is the kind you want.

And unless you plan to do serious driving do not worry about sloted or drilled rotors.

25PSi

#9 ·
25PSi said:
If u got ~ 600 to 800 bux do front TT brakes. Can not be beat as "Cheap" setup.
That is way too much for the fronts. I got mine from ECSTuning, turn key kit so everything is there :
Front set up :
ECS OEM Big Brake Kit - (TT Carrier, 12.3 One Piece Plain Rotor w/ Pads) ES#413​
With Mintex Red Box Pads​
$404.95​

Rear set up :
OEM 337/20AE Rear Brake Kit, Version I ES#3935​
Includes plain non-zinc or cadmium plated rotors & red factory painted calipers & carriers -- learn more
On SALE!
$759.95

The fronts are cheaper cause you use your stock caliper where as the rear requires you to replace it witha larger one.

#12 · (Edited)
Folks - don't forget
The TT breaks won't fit on a Diesel Beetle because of diffrent Breake-suspension. In case you will install the TT Brake on a diesel have to replace the TDI cover from a 2,0 or 1,8 Turbo.
VW is asking round about 200 USD for the set.

#13 ·
Not sure what you mean by cover, but to upgrade the TDI/2.0 brakes to the TT brakes, you have to get the 1.8T spindles which are rather pricey at about $400 for a used set.

That being said, I have 20th Anniversary GTI/GLI/TT 12.3" brakes and H2Sport Sport Spindles waiting to go on my car once the winter's over!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.