VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings :) I'm getting conflicting information from the dealer parts department and the mechanic (not dealer) on whether or not the master cylinder needs to be replaced when you are replacing a broken brake booster.

The mechanic replaced the booster, and as I was driving her home, CEL came on, checked for codes using my scanner, and she threw 9 codes with vacuum leaks and misfires. I called the mechanic and he said bring her back. He called me after he had her back and said that the part had been modified for that year veh make/model by VW and that I would also have to replace the master cylinder.

I called the dealer to get the correct part number for the master cylinder and after chatting a bit, he said no....you do not have replace the master cylinder when you replace the brake booster, but you do have to replace the O ring.

Is there anyone on here who knows the real deal??? I don't want to buy a $100 master cylinder and pay for the labor if I don't need to.

Thanks so much--
Slave to Mrs Beetle:mad:

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I mis typed - it's a BRAKE BOOSTER not a breaker booster.

I would so appreciate the masters in the house chiming in here...:bowdown:

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since no one has replied to this thread, I'll assume that means the parts distributor (Worldpac) fed my mechanic a whopper of a tale. The VW parts department hadn't ever heard of that and neither have the folks at autohausAZ. I thought it sounded pretty bogus myself. I sent my mechanic a message so we shall see what he says.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts