NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend just bought a 2002 turbo GLS (like two days ago). On the test drive the brakes worked just fine, but after her first full day the brakes won't engage properly. Usually they will work alright, but every so often going forwards or in reverse she can stand on them and barely slow down. I'm no car guy, but everything looks fine and the dealer says the brakes are all of two weeks old. It's not actively unsafe as I can stop within a foot of where I intended to, but I have experience with driving on poor brakes...but it's worrisome and she's not as confident as I am. And I have my own beetle to drive that I want back. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
After driving say on a highway for a while while it's raining and not using the brakes for a while then using them & they don't seem to be there? I have the same problem. If you pump once they will fully engage when you press the second time. My hubby says I'm nuts though but I swear they aren't as good as they used to be. Maybe brake fluid?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's more like while dry (yes, Seattle does have a dry season) I'll tap the brakes and they'll be there. Then a half block later I'll tap them and they barely do anything. Then they're very tight, then I have to engage the parking brake to avoid tapping the car in front of me. Brake fluid could explain that though...maybe...

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
You have it worse than me. Hopefully it's the fluid. I have no idea how to check that though. I think it's brake fluid & something else together though. Possibly trans fluid or steering fluid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was the vacuum hose getting a hole melted in it. Messed up the brakes, the mixture, the air conditioning. The brakes were just the worst part. Car lot fixed it for free even if they didn't have to. My girl is happy to have a car that no one could deny is her's, I'm happy to have my beautiful bug back, and all is well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts