NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay - driving around town I haven't noticed any problems with the brakes at all.

However a couple or so days now I have noticed that after I go up the ramps at work to the 2nd level of our parking garage that the brakes seem to fade and a couple times I thought that I was going to end up hitting the outer wall when parking.

Is there a chance that the change from a horizontal position to an incline it could drain brake fluid or something like that?

I haven't noticed any rubbing sounds from the brakes or anything like that...

Any thoughts?:confused:

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
Antoine,

When was the last time you changed your brake fluid?

is it still the original fill? if so, it is possible that your fluid has absorbed some water after 4 years and the water is boiling after the stop N go of your commute. boiling water makes bubbles and bubbles compress (fluid doesnt) causing bad braking.

if you have changed your fluid, it might do you good to ffirst check your fluid level to see if it is low (yes, I know its a bear to do on the NB) and second, crack each of your bleeders one at a time and pump out some fluid to see if there is any air in your system. make sure you keep the fluid level up in the Master cylinder while you do this.

it sounds to me like you have some air or even water in the system somehow.

Good luck!

Aaron

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

I don't believe I have ever checked them and for the last 3 or 4 changes we did it ourselves and I know I haven't checked it. I'll get with me Tech friend and check Bentley to see where everything is.

·
Eine Kleine Panzer
210 Posts
Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years. www.germanautoparts.com has a nice bleeder which makes this a one man 1-2 hour driveway job. Good luck.

Do you notice any brake fluid collected around the lines at the calipers or on your rims which may indicate a busted or loose line somewhere?

Spongy brakes are definitely a sign of air on lack of compression in the lines somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
speedie said:
Spongy brakes are definitely a sign of air on lack of compression in the lines somewhere.
Give that man a ci-gar!

Well - they bled the brakes, guess they needed that anyway.

Found a leak at the Vacuum Pump, but I'm not sure where that is located. My friend said $200 part and $100 labor for that...but also 3 days for the part to come in.

Not too happy, also found that the accordian tube from the MAF to the intake also has like 3 holes in it. Do they really make these cars to last more than 5 years? I guess my car found out somehow that I paid him off early and he is wanting to extort some money out of me since I don't have a note anymore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts