NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Beetle has this weird braking problem. When I step on the brakes and goes almost to a stop, the ABS (I think) engages. It does that almost everytime I stop. Could it be the sensors? I tried cleaning it but did not help at all. Does anyone had this problem before? I have a 99 Beetle 2.0.:(

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
What makes you think it's the ABS kicking in?

Does it shudder? Does the brake pedal push back real hard? I don't think '99 2.0's had any kind of ASR/ESP do they?

Cleaning the sensors was a good idea. I would think any other problem w/the ABS would kick off some sort of brake light. (bad connection; invalid sensor readings)

Could it be warped rotors?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it shudder like typical ABS and you'll feel it kick-in at the pedal so I'm pretty sure it's not warped discs. I also think it does not have ASR/ESP. Would it be better to let the dealer diagnose the problem? I fear that they would charge alot for it.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
But if it is a malfunction, that should illuminate the ABS light or the BRAKE light. I've got an occassional ABS light which is throwing a left wheel speed sensor code intermittantly.

Never felt the pedal kick back - except when I had warped front rotors, the pedal would pulsate. Replace rotors and the problem went away.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have any ABS light on and I think the right word for the pedal issue is pulsating. It makes this springtype sound when it does it, usually when it's almost to a stop.

·
Registered
32 Posts
ABS Light

On Saturday, I had my ABS light come on after driving for a while. It came on the next time I turned on the ignition, stayed on for a couple short drive cycles, then went back off. So far, it's stayed off.

Now, I did replace my front brakes & rotors. I bought a couple of ECS Tuning's Slotted / Crossdrilled Brembo rotors, and I'm wondering if the either shavings from it, or the Mintex Red box Pads are messing with the ABS sensors. So, I'm guessing I had a temporary problem, and I hope it won't come back, or else I'm gonna need the stealership to VAG-Com my car to see what's up.

Anyone else have this particular problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I had a friend's ABS sensor plug get stretched so that it didn't stay tight. That was a cheap fix.

I've bypassed a brake pad sensor to have the wires get pulled out and throw a brake light.

If you just did your own brake Teddy, I'd check the connections. Maybe run a paper towel over the sensor rings. Shouldn't be all THAT messy. & from the brake pad thread; I'd suggest you sand your pads just in case they are glazing... can't hurt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts