VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
irregular member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a member of this site for a while now and I finally now own a new beetle.

The car is a 2001 gls 1.8t 5 speed. It is a one owner car with less than 90,000 miles.

Here are some dealer pics.

My questions are as follows:

1. Whenever I open the driver door after the car has been sitting for a while, but before I start it, I hear something buzzing for a few seconds. My mother's passat does the same thing. No problem with whatever it is, I just would like to know.

2. My second mystery noise is harder to describe. About 10-15 minutes after I have turned the car off, I will sometimes hear a single bang sound coming from the rear of the car. It will make the sound once and then will be silent for another 15 minutes and then it might do it again. The sound is not very loud at all; I feel it more than I hear it. And I only notice it if I am inside the car.

3. The front bumper has a small dent in it that is facing outward. It looks as if something hit it from the inside. I have seen other new beetles with this same damage. It is not bad enough to worry about repairing, but I would like to know what could have caused it and how to keep it from getting worse.

4. The upper part of the door panels around the arm rests are a little loose. The one on the passenger side is visibly shifted out from under the upper part that it is connected to. The fabric is in good shape on both sides, but I would like to know how to reattach it.

5. The last question I have is about oil. I would like a good list of recommendations for oil. It is time for me to change it now. Unsure of what to buy I went with what was recommended, I bought some fully synthetic castrol 5w-40 locally and I am going to do it tomorrow. I don't know the last time it was changed. The problem is the price. The oil was pretty expensive compared to everything else and only one store in town even had it. I would like to find some better alternatives online. For example, I found this
( VW 1.8T Oil Change Kit (5 Quarts) w/ Liqui Moly Synthoil Premium - 068 115 561 B at OilChangeKits.com ) and it is about $20 less than what I paid. From my research, this brand seems to be pretty good for our cars, what are the opinions about it and other like it.

·
squirreljuice
391 Posts
1. The buzz is most likely the fuel pump. I'm not sure of what else it could be. 2. The bang is probably the spoiler that goes above the rear windshield. Does it happen after slowing down? 3. The bump in the front can be popped out and that's where the tow hook goes. 4. I do not know how to fix that. Post some pictures of the damage in the styling forum and you will likely get an answer. 5. As far as oil, I only use fully synthetic Mobil 1 5w-30. It is the family brand and is used in all our cars and has never given us any issues. How much did you pay for your oil? My oil is about $28 from Walmart and thats a low price for synthetic. Regular oil is not all that great for this engine because of the turbo. You need the heat resistant properties of synthetic. Also you should probably have the timing belt done, if the po didn't do it. The cost of having that done is why so many bugs get traded in when they hit that mileage range.

·
Super Moderator
14,840 Posts
Yes, the buzz is the fuel pump priming. It's a normal sound.

Get the timing belt and water pump done. Make sure you get a metal impellor WP. Use a VW independent shop, and try to pay $700 more or less. The dealer will want a whole lot more.

Welcome to the Org, and Welcome to the New Beetle!

·
irregular member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
1. The buzz is most likely the fuel pump. I'm not sure of what else it could be. 2. The bang is probably the spoiler that goes above the rear windshield. Does it happen after slowing down? 3. The bump in the front can be popped out and that's where the tow hook goes. 4. I do not know how to fix that. Post some pictures of the damage in the styling forum and you will likely get an answer. 5. As far as oil, I only use fully synthetic Mobil 1 5w-30. It is the family brand and is used in all our cars and has never given us any issues. How much did you pay for your oil? My oil is about $28 from Walmart and thats a low price for synthetic. Regular oil is not all that great for this engine because of the turbo. You need the heat resistant properties of synthetic. Also you should probably have the timing belt done, if the po didn't do it. The cost of having that done is why so many bugs get traded in when they hit that mileage range
1. I don't think its the fuel pump, because it does it as soon as I open the door, even before I put the key in. When I turn the key I hear the pump start, but it sounds different. To me it sounds as if its in or near where the hvac directional shutters should be.
EDIT:
Just went outside to put my windows up for the night, and did some listening. I pinpointed the noise to be coming from somewhere just behind the front bumper. I have no clue now.

2. The noise only happens after I have turned the car off and have been sitting for a while. It will do it once usually, but sometimes it will do it again later. I don't think its the spoiler because on my model the manual states that it only activates at 90+ mph automatically and I don`t usually use it manually very often.

3. The bump I am talking about is not the tow hook. It is an outward bulge. It looks as if something on the inside is or was pushing outward.

4. I will get pictures later, its dark now and I have work tomorrow.

5. Wow $28, I paid about $65 for the oil and filter.

I am going to do the timing belt on my own before too long.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,453 Posts
You need to shop around for oil for sure. I don't pay nearly that much and I use Castrol Edge 5w40. I usually catch it on sale too. Autozone/Advance Auto usually run oil/filter deals (like 5 qts and a filter for $35) or buy one get one deals on it and Mobil1.

The fuel pump is supposed to prime when you open the door if the car has been sitting. I would bet that's what the noise is.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
new guy

Hey welcome to newbeetle.org..........AHHMM yes there are many men(guys) here driving beetles. Do change that timing belt/water pump ASAP unless the dealer can prove to ya in writing that it was already done. Good luck man

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
A warm welcome to the greatest Beetle ORG on the web. We love photos, so glad you shared a batch of yours!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The noise you hear when opening the drivers door IS the fuel pump priming. This is NORMAL.

The noise you hear behind the front bumper is likely the AUX water pump to cool the turbo. This is NORMAL to run after the engine is shut down for 5-20 mins.

Also as part of the timing belt/water pump replacement, you should also change your thermostat.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'll take on your question #4. Here is a DIY on removing the door panels:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/paint-body/51680-deer-drivers-door-panel-diy.html

Just be very careful with the wiring as you pull the panel away from the door frame. A number of people here have had problems with the door panel wiring shoring out or connections failing. Keep the stress on the wires to a minimum as you disconnect the various connectors. Images 019 and 020 seem to show how the two parts of the door panel are joined together.

Here is a youtube video as well. It is amazing how much how-to stuff is out there on youtube.

How To Install Replace Broken Power Window Regulator Volkswagen Beetle 98-10 1AAuto.com - YouTube

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.