VW Beetle Forum banner

Broke my 2.0 interference motor?

30K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Abwitschen 
#1 ·
HELP!The serv. advisor at a local VW dealer told me our '99 Beetle, 2.0, was not an interference motor. I didn't have the $745 he quoted me for the timing belt job, so I asked could I just drive it until it breaks and then have it towed there and he said yes. At 125,000 miles, I think the timing belt may have broken yesterday.:( The poor Beetle, that was my mom's ride to church and groceries, literally, became exploited by me when she stopped driving at 85. Anyway, tow truck driver tells me it's an interference motor. Towed it to a friend's house, GM mechanic by trade, he says he'll take a look, tried to start it for him, he says sounds like the timing belt may have broken, like it's not getting any compression. Is our Beetle toast, or is there a slim chance it'll ride again with a new timing belt?

#2 ·
They are an interference engine. If the timing belt did break you are in for an expesive repair to replace bent valves and maybe danaged pistons. There is a removable cover in the front top of the enginge on the passanger side. 2 clips and it comes off. If the belt is loose its busted on has slipped, both are bad news. Sorry to be the bearer of the bad news but you deserve to hear the truth. :(

#9 ·
You would be VERY lucky if no damage was done but by you tring to start it again some damage was probably done. I can't stand sales people that is why I am so happy I am married to a car guy and have learned so much. When we have been looking at cars you should see the looks I get from the sales guys when I start asking these questions. I had one guy dig out the owners manuel and look something up. They quickly learn they can't screw with me. Esp since I am not gonna back down from what I know I want. If I am gonna go into debt for something it better be what I want. lol.. Anything with a belt is an interferance motor. Chains are a whole nother story.. lol.

#12 ·
I would keep you apprised but...

My mechanical engineer older brother has decided the Beetle is junk and is telling me that I should get a used Beetle of similar vintage and use the broken Beetle for parts. His buddy, a GM mechanic, was going to replace the belt and water pump for $150 labor, was going to get parts from link found on forum for like $150. After collaborating they both have decided there is most likely valve damage and more and not worth the repair. If something happens with the Beetle, brother's wife says to write to Volkswagen of America, copy dealer on it, I'll report back to you Beetle people.

#16 ·
Update on broken interference engine

Our GM mechanic friend's most recent recommendation was replace valves and install a remanufactured head, his estimate $1200-1400. That has to be way less than a dealer because his labor for timing belt and water pump was $150. He said he figured 3 hours labor (on water pump and timing belt). That's accurate for him, he's a rocket. That was until he took a small, flexible camera and found out that besides bent valves, at least 1 piston has a hole. Back to the buy a used '99 Beetle and keep the other for parts. Window motors are a staple. Why didn't I take it to him before the belt broke some of you may wonder. The mechanic is foremost my brother's friend, his best man, and older brother didn't know if he would want to do that sort of work apparently. One nice thing is, the mechanic says, "You know my number now and you can call me..." Thank you for sharing your knowledge Old Bug Man. Beetles were our family's alternative to the typical sedan when I was a kid...I was the youngest of 3 so I got the middle of the back seat and the (drivetrain?) hump. I remember once we took a cousin with us on a road trip and my dad put a roll of paper towel on top of the emergency brake and I sat between the 2 front seats. That was our '73 Super Beetle we named, what else, Herbie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.