NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I hit something on the interstate (I think it was a huge ice chunk) with my 2003 Beetle and broke the valance/grill. Is this an expensive repair?

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
With foglights or without?

The parts, new valance(Vw calls it a spoiler) and grill after market replacement parts run about 100-150 dollars plus paint.

Most of the time the fog light bar can be reused.

You need to check the radiator and oil pan for damage from the hit.

I will try and post some links for the parts when I know if you have foglights or not.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Lucky it is a 2003, that should mean you have a separate part for the grill. If that happened in my 98 I would need to replace the entire bumper to keep the same part or retrofit a grill from 2003+ with duct tape and WD40.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
I bought a new grill surround & mesh grill from Partsgeek.com. Reasonably priced and good quality.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
My car is similar just not completely broken yet, I'm wondering if it is possible to fiberglass it back together, instead of buying a new one because I want to make a bracket for bigger pia fog lights or something along those lines and salvage what I have to work.
So in the end, would fiberglass do what I want with the plastic, or would I have to use another method?

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
I have very similar damage on my 2000 Cyber Green GLS (with foglights).I ran over a fire pit at a KOA campground in 2011 :eek:

A body shop actually fused it back together with adhesive, sanded it, and repainted it. It held for about 2 years before splitting again, so this time, I'm just going to buy a whole new part, but I'm going to wait until my teen daughter moves on to another car before I bother. The stuff I need to do to that car to return it to as-new condition after she's done with it will probably cost me 5-6K. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
It is a 2 part ureathane glue, softer than epoxy so it has some give.

Google plastic bumper repairs and you should have a bunch of suppliers.

You tube has lots of videos on the repairs.

The parts are not very expensive if you use aftermarket parts.

You will spend less time with new parts, may spend less money too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I want to put different (larger) fog lights in, so I dont see the point of buying a new valence and chopping it up, as apposed to chopping mine up and fixing it all at the same time

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
If you are going to go custom inset to fit your fog light mods I would go with expanded metal mesh. That way you can make a costum piece to go with the mods.

In the long run it will be easier than rebuilding a stock unit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That bill honestly doesn't surprise me. I'm going through some similar repairs and found additional damage from the previous owner. Broken fogs, broken valance, cracked mesh etc. I called the dealership and they quoted me over $500 for just the plastics (not including the fogs). Fogs, paint, and install time on the earlier NB with removing the entire front fascia would easily cost over $900 total.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In my idea its a easy repair, you just need to buy a plastic bumper repair kit and some paint to finish it off.Just follow the instructions included in the kit. The grill seems to be OK you just need to realign the thing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts