VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the part is I need to order to fix this? It's the hard plastic hose thing off the brake booster. It has a 2 inch crack in it and it separated completely while I was driving. I have a 2005 vw convertible bug automatic 2.0 engine.

:confused: I included a few pictures so you can see the cracked part. I put it back together with duct tape for now, but that's kind of scary. Hopefully I posted this in the right place, I'm new to these forums. I have to keep driving this till I can get it fixed, so I'm hoping I can get the part cheap online or something.

Attachments

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
If you want the original plastic tubing, you will have to get that at the dealer; however it can be replaced with a regular hose. Just make sure the hose is stiff enough not to collapse under vacuum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, the hard plastic part has a two inch crack and it completely separated from the top part that gets inserted in to it.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
hey

Hey if you want to save ya some money and it's worth a shot why not try JB Weld and patch that plastic thingy. Jb weld bonds really good and is not affected by heat, oil or gas. good stuff and it's only 3-4 bucks at walmart....just don't glue your fingers together. :p LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, I thought about jbwelding it .... I want to make sure it stays fixed, so I just went to the dealership and I have the part coming. Ever since it broke my check engine light came on. I went and got my oil changed and they said they don't think anything else could be causing the check engine light to come on that they saw. Could a brake booster hose make my check engine light come on?

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
oh yea it will make your CEL come on... mine cracked right at the brake master cylinder. that lil doo-hickey was $120ish. not happy with oem part prices. im not used to paying full price!!!

-jd

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, I appreciate all the help. I'm going to pick up the part now. :) I'll be glad to have everything back in working order.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Hey if you want to save ya some money and it's worth a shot why not try JB Weld and patch that plastic thingy. Jb weld bonds really good and is not affected by heat, oil or gas. good stuff and it's only 3-4 bucks at walmart....just don't glue your fingers together. :p LOL
JB Weld or any other glue product will not fix this problem; the plastic shrinks, becomes brittle and splits down the length of the tube.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same exact problem - crack in the same hose (see pic). Does anyone have the OEM part number? The brake booster hoses I've seen online look a little different. I have the Bentley book and it's not much help. Also if anyone has replaced the lower section with a regular hose- any tips on what kind of hose and where to connect? Hard to see where it connects- I'm assuming a vacuum pump. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Contact the parts dept of your local vw dealer with your vin #; some brake booster hoses are being reproduced by the aftermarket but some are available as genuine vw parts only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yup, I contacted the parts dept right after I posted, and just heard back. The OEM part number is 1J0-612-041-HE...and the dealer quoted me $106, plus tax. Wow. I asked if he knew where it connected to and he said that parts catalogue didn't say. I'm wondering if I can sleeve it rather than replace it. The hose that runs to the intake manifold has a sleeve where it connects to the tee.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I have used electrical tape with some short term temporary success. However the real fix is a new hose. Try metalmanparts.com, rockauto.com. fcpeuro.com. If you can't find it on their websites give metalman a call.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For anyone else
I have used electrical tape with some short term temporary success. However the real fix is a new hose. Try metalmanparts.com, rockauto.com. fcpeuro.com. If you can't find it on their websites give metalman a call.
Thanks! I might try duct tape until I am able to replace the hose. For anyone else wondering I finally figured out where that lower hose connects to - its called the brake system vacuum pump (V192). The pump apparently is attached to the subframe near the drivers side wheel somewhere behind a control arm it looks like. If you have the Bently book its at 47-19. I won't be able to get the car up off the ground at least for the next 5 days or so, but it looks like it's going to be real fun to get to where the hose connects to the pump. Yeah, maybe duct tape for now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts