NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the 98 2.0 back from dealer with a new transmission. Rusn great, luckily fix was under warranty.

Now I check the oil to find the Orange funnel cracked at the top. I have looked through discussion and found to be common problem, new funnel cost about 12 bucks people have said. Can I replace myself, and can someone give me some steps... Car is now longer under warranty! Th etrans was replaced because speedometer gear was bad....

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
totally a DIY job. you can do it from on top of the car (as opposed to jacking it up and going under). when i did it, it was pretty much a guess and check procedure.

first, a well-lit area is a must. remove your engine cover but amke sure the dipstick tube stays behind. next, take out yuor dipstick (don't forget its oily, like i did :banghead: ). then, as you pull up the old tube, make sure u see where it comes from (its a little metal tube coming up from the oil pan). basically you put the new one down in there trying to align it by sight. i got frustrated after about 5 tries, so i just stuck my hand all the way down there, grabbed the little metal tube i was aiming for, and set the new orange tube right on it.

pretty much thats it. try your dipstick in the new tube before replacing the engine cover, just in case you ofund some other tube to stick it on. seems like it would be a lot harder, but thats just what the dealerhsip wants you to think.

oh btw - ECS has tubes for 2.49. :goodjob:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts