NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The loud noise i reported this week was not the timing belt but appears to be coming the the upper passenger side engine mount. I think i sheared the bolt seeing as it was activally removing itself when i turned the car on. How hard is it to fix? Or should i just bring it in to the dealer?
[/URL][/IMG]

It was located in this part of the engine compartment. i cirled the location in green
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
It wouldn't be too bad to fix. You'll need to support the engine while you remove the engine mount. Many people use a jack and wood block on the oil pan. You loosen all the bolts into the block and then remove the mount and bolts together. There is not room to pull the bolts out beforehand.

You will also need a new set of stretch bolts for the mount. Chances are someone did you're timing belt without replacing the stretch bolt and now you know why that is a bad idea.

If you can find instructions for replacing the timing belt it will explain the steps in removing the engine mount. You won't need to do most of the steps in the procedure like draining the coolant or taking the timing belt cover off.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I believe that the bolt that appears to be broken is a horizontal bolt that goes through the engine mount pad that bolts to the engine?

I do not believe these are stretch bolts or one time use bolts?

I do know that the vertical bolts that bolt the motor mount to this bracket and the frame are in fact stretch bolts/one time use bolts?

The problem will be is where this broken bolt sheered off. If it sheered off at the engine block surface, then removing the mounting bracket will be pretty easy once you get the mount out of the way. The issue will then be how to extract the broken bolt from the engine block. Not sure what access may be available??

The opposite problem is what if the bolt did not shear off at the engine block? Likely you will then need to cut the bolt or hope you can get enough space between the mounting bracket and block to use long nose pliers to unthread the bolt to allow the bracket removal.

If you are not a pretty experienced DIY person, not sure I would recommend taking this task on.

Suggest your order all the bolts first regardless who performs the repair, even the dealer rarely has the proper one time use bolts in stock.

I would not recommend a dealer to perform this job, they will be too expensive, I would find a VW specific Indy shop.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, i'm not that experienced at this kinda thing. I'm bringing it to the dealership on Thursday. If it wasn't for the fact that this is one of 2 working cars at my house I would attempt it.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Do you know the history on this car? Has this mounting bracket ever been removed?

I recall some model of New Beetle/MK4 cars having problems where the engines are falling out of the car due to broken bolts?

Might want to fill out a NHTSA complaint form, you might find this is more of a common problem then you think?

Good luck, I will be curious if the dealer actually replaced the 4 vertical stretch/one time use bolts as well. They should, but then again it is the dealer!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts