VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on my daugters 2015 VW Beetle 2.0 TDI Sport because one of the front coil springs broke in two pieces.
So far I have removed the strut and spring by removing, 3no bolts to the strut top, 1no pinch bolt to bottom of strut/wheel hub, 1no nut holding the drop link bar thing, thus allowing the wish bone/wheel hub to be pushed down. The strut is in good condition so I intend to refit. I don't have a workshop manual so working a bit blind.

Q-1...With the spring breaking I managed to remove the full strut, however when the new spring is fitted on the strut is anything more to dismantle to get it installed?

Q-2...Can anyone provide torque settings for bolts and nuts for reassembly work?

Many thanks, Roy

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
You will need a spring compressor to compress the new spring, also the top strut mount bits, bearing and rubber pieces and any other rubber pieces that are present. I have not done one of the newer front springs so I am unsure of what other pieces are needed.

Many people will suggest you should do both sides at the same time. I’ve done just one side for a broken spring before with no noticeable difference between the freshly done side and the old side on an MK4. Probably you should go ahead and do the other side also as both side are likely the same age.

You might want to take the pieces to a garage and have them assemble the struts. If you do the other side and the spring is not broken and you just take the nut off without compressing the spring. That spring will come off that strut like a bullet and hurt or damage anyone or thing in it way.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
This might help.

Here’s another these are what are called “loaded struts” if you don’t have a spring compressor or access to a garage these are a good option.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts