NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have read this forum quite a bit, but this is my first post/problem!
Thanks to all for the great advice I have alread read.

Here is my issue:
2003 Beelte Turbo 1.8
I have a broken hose (pictured) I have ordered the hose and it is due in tomorrow.

I am getting the white smoke from the exhaust. Enough to make it look like a train is driving down the road :).

Is it possible that the hose is the primary culprit, or is it likley that the head gasket has blown as well?
I am trying to determine whether it is the gasket or the turbo..I may need to take it in to have it diagnosed, since I don't have the proper equipment.

Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
White smoke could also be a bad O2 sensor. GET THE CODES PULLED!

MORAV

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to mention that I am loosing coolant as well.

Thansk for the quick post. It would be so wonderful if it is only the sensor.
I will run it to autozone for them to run the dianostics and see what it shows.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,921 Posts
Noticing any coolant leaks? How many miles on the car? Water pump replaced?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't noticed any particular leaks, but it is going through coolant pretty quickly.
Once I get the hsoe replaced, I will try looking around for any possible leaky coolant hoses.

There is about 87,000 miles on the car. I haven't replaced the water pump.
Could a bad water pump casue it to billow white smoke as well?

·
5/23/10 <3
10,921 Posts
I don't think so, but it could be the source of the coolant leak. At 87k, if you haven't done the timing belt/water pump yet, that would be on my list for the near future.

·
Want to do a drive.
1,791 Posts
I haven't noticed any particular leaks, but it is going through coolant pretty quickly.
Once I get the hsoe replaced, I will try looking around for any possible leaky coolant hoses.

There is about 87,000 miles on the car. I haven't replaced the water pump.
Could a bad water pump casue it to billow white smoke as well?
Is it smoke or steam?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's white smoke, smells sweet like anti freeze.
I replaced some of the antifreeze with water to see if it became more steam than smoke, but I haven't noticed a difference really, but I didn't use a lot of water either.

It doesn't smell like oil. There was a tiny bit of build up around the inside of the oil cap, but not a lot. there didn't seem to be any unual coloring in the oil. The car sounds and runs fine, not miss firing or anything.
Just a lot of white smoke when you apply the gas or idling.
The turbo kicks in nice and fast just like normal. Someone told me it could be a bad exhaust/catalytic converter, but I don't think so in this case.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Pull the codes! But it does sound as if you may have blown a head gasket, especially if you are losing coolant and see no evidence of leaks elsewhere in the system. With the additional knowledge of the lose of coolant, what you are seeing is probably steam and not a air/fuel mixture issue. Are you getting any unusual amount of water from the exhaust while idling?

As back-up to my blown head gasket statement, go here
Head gasket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

M.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My wife (her car) said that there is a pool of liquid under the exhaust pipe if it is idling in a place for a bit. She said it doesn't smell like gas or oil. I will let it idle for a bit to see what it might be, but I think it is the coolant. The reserve coolant tank was half empty this morning when I checked it.

I will try to get the codes tonight and post them here.

Thanks to all of you so much!!!!

Our last car payment on the bug is this weekend. Stinks to have to spend a lot of money on it right at the last payment.
My father in law and myself should be able the change out the gasket, providing that is what is wrong with it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Can you tell me what the name of that hose is thats broken? or a part number? Mines broken too and we jerry rigged one cause no one seemed to know what that was. Our jerry rigged one seems to work, but would much rather have the right part on there!!!

·
Registered
11,585 Posts
Looks like "13A" in this diagram; part # 06A 103 221 BN.

2003 New Beetle VW Replacement Parts

These are still expensive from the dealer; the problem with them is the oil just turns them into mush and their failure is inevitable.

06A 103 221 BN - Google Search

Imho, the best solution is a aftermarket silicone version; I bought mine and have had no problems, probably the last one you will buy! Its cheaper then the stock one and will last, done!

Breather Hose, Valve Cover, Mk4 1.8T - 034 MOTORSPORT

This kit has two (2) pieces and replaces another hose that typically fails; it goes under the intake manifold:

http://www.eurojetracing.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=EJ401-M20-03-00

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, after trying a few things (and replacing the hose), I finally took it in to be repaired
It is having:
New gasket set put in
Tested the head for any cracks (no cracks, thankfully)
New valve seals
Fogot: they are also replacing the timing chain and water pump. Might as well, it has 87k miles and has never been changed
They are doing it all for around 950.00
I had already purchased the gasket set.
So not too bad…but definitely expensive. They are giving me a heck of a deal on labor though! I really appreciate what all they have done to cut me a deal.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Since were mentioning codes, has anyone ever gone to an autozone (or equivilent) to have them read and they end up not being able to read them?

thanks,
-P

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Well, after trying a few things (and replacing the hose), I finally took it in to be repaired
It is having:
New gasket set put in
Tested the head for any cracks (no cracks, thankfully)
As mentioned early on, Head Gasket! Your lucky, could have been worse.

Since were mentioning codes, has anyone ever gone to an autozone (or equivilent) to have them read and they end up not being able to read them?

thanks,
-P
Yes, the VW OBDII system stores many more codes than an SAE Reader (Corner Parts Store) is caable of reading.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Blast! I take it the dealership will charge for this service? As they do with everything, lol.

Thanks.
What part of Houston are you in. I have a V-Checker Reader, basic, but it reads the codes. Probably a couple others around here who have them also.

Got mine from another Orger who moved up, but www.ECStuning.com
sells them. Probably less than a trip into Momentum.

M.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is t pssible to remove the turbo and run the car without it? just to see if that might be the problem?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts