VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I had my '99 New Beetle inspected last week it failed due to a broken rear spring. On the lift it looked like maybe 1/2 inch of one end was missing. I went ahead and replaced the rear springs. When I compared the old springs side-by-side I was surprised to see that the final 1/3 turn or so was missing!

Auto part Tire Automotive wheel system Wheel Automotive tire

Here I have the springs lined up so the bottom ends (actually the top of the spring in the car) are at the same position. You can see the difference in where the top coil ends (this is the end that rests on the rear axle).

I put in new Moog brand springs from the local auto parts store since I needed to replace them fast. The ride and handling have improved substantially! It seems like the new springs are too long and the ride height is about 1" too high in the back, but the whole car is much smoother over bumps now. Also, the weird directional instability while cornering over bumps that I was having is mostly gone.

I'm posting this for others to benefit from. If you are having ride/handling problems (or want to do a thorough overhaul of the suspension) don't underestimate the effect that rear springs can have. They are easy to replace and fairly inexpensive. Mine were less than $60.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Wise Thoughts Red.

Most people do not think much about correct ride height and what it can do for the entire comfort and stability of the car.

Not to mention the severe increased wear and tear on anything rubber, bushings, shocks, etc...

S-

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
The ride hight is probably correct with the new springs. it was most likly low with those springs pictured as springs begin to collapse with age.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Pretty common, I think. Found a 2" piece of the end of my spring on Jetta when I did bushings, and last week I found a 3" piece of spring under my wife's Beetle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts